! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

SSD - Page 5/6

Subject: SSD
« <> »
spartan2 5.08.13 - 01:26pm

@ edit.or - 5.08.13 - 01:02am
being that the memory is so cheap, why don't o/s's simply begin supporting running from memory? memory is even faster then ssd. with today 16GBs not being uncommon, i don't understand why such potencial is simply left unused

It's called a RAM disk. They are very fast but as pointed out will always require power even when the machine is off and per gigabyte not as cheap as you would imagine. I considered one but the fact I am reluctant to leave it powered all day and night means it is really a bind over just having a good SSD * +

newt182 5.08.13 - 01:27pm
Like Alvar said, RAM is volatile. * +

spartan2 5.08.13 - 01:30pm
People also used some free memory as a virtual RAM drive which is easily possible in a 64 bit environment but again you may as well just let the Os do its caching and manage itself * +

norega 5.08.13 - 02:42pm

@ spartan2 - 5.08.13 - 01:26pm
It's called a RAM disk. They are very fast but as pointed out will always require power even when the machine is off and per gigabyte not as cheap as you would imagine. I considered one but the fact I am reluctant to leave it powered all day and night means it is really a bind over just having a good SSD

I use to have a gigabyte iram card that was very fast and kept all the data when you switched off the power . It used ddr2 ram and i even had windows xp running off it at one point and it booted in like 5 seconds or something silly like that . * +

edit.or 5.08.13 - 05:00pm
puppy linux runs completely in ram, saves your settings during shutdown, loads them back from the hard drive during boot without any special delay then goes back into ram. even though i have still a very old 60GB hard drive, i had no trashing like its common with windows that doesn't run from memory. not to mention that doing everything in ram would prolongue the age of your disks. i think this is a very underestimated feature * +

alvar89 5.08.13 - 08:29pm
a x79 mobo with 128gb ram would be epic for ram disk * +

spartan2 5.08.13 - 10:36pm
It seems to me RAM capacity is indeed getting cheaper faster than we can find a use for it all. Back in the day you never could have an excess of memory, it was more expensive and soon as you got 256mb you could be doing with 512 because of a new OS etc but we are at the stage now where its easily viable to have 32Gb of RAM and only actually NEED about 8gb tops......largely down to mobile computing which has forced OS and software to stop eating up memory for fun. * +

« <> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-6
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
6 first page
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index