! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

best ssd+ how big for os - Page 3/11

Subject: best ssd+ how big for os
« <> »
norega 17.11.14 - 06:32am

@ spartan2 - 16.11.14 - 10:29pm
Buy a 480GB+ one as they are pretty cheap now.

Frankly the difference between the very best and the slightly not as good ones is not going to be very noticeable in practice, because both will smash any mechanical drive into oblivion for performance.

Samsung 840 EVO 500GB costs what these days? 150 quid? It's not the fastest but if you think logically, you can have 500GB of data fast access, instead of 250 and the rest on a mechanical. So more of what you store would be faster.

The point of an SSD these days for me is largely games, and games are getting so bloated (often 20GB installs or more) that 250GB seems a bit small now TBH

500gb is just to small if you only have one drive in your machine . And what games benefit from being on a ssd? Because i have not noticed any diffrence bar a few seconds loading in couterstrike or metro , arma 3 etc . A fast mechanical drive for games like a western digital black is fast enough for gaming . Will never be as fast as an ssd but the diffrence is hardly noticable * +

norega 17.11.14 - 06:45am

@ nobyboy - 16.11.14 - 08:49pm
yours is better but look at the price lol seeing as i havent had an ssd before then this will be a great first one for me

yeah the price is high but that includes 10 year warranty and the samsungs are server class drives so reliability is top draw. The drive you went for is a great drive to and well regarded and a big step up for your os and programs but like i said no games advantage bar loading a second or to faster * +

nobyboy 17.11.14 - 07:50am

@ norega - 17.11.14 - 06:45am
yeah the price is high but that includes 10 year warranty and the samsungs are server class drives so reliability is top draw. The drive you went for is a great drive to and well regarded and a big step up for your os and programs but like i said no games advantage bar loading a second or to faster

The drive I have in is a wd caviar black, my Pc boots up in 10 secs currently * +

norega 17.11.14 - 11:40am
I swapped out my 2tb samsung f3's for the newest 2tb western digital blacks last month, as game drives and they are super fast . Im nearly always first into a map on counterstrike and most other games . They are without doubt the best mechanical drives out there and again they are server class so great support and warranty . * +

nobyboy 17.11.14 - 12:11pm
WhT are these hybrid drives all about?? * +

spartan2 17.11.14 - 11:15pm

@ norega - 17.11.14 - 06:32am
500gb is just to small if you only have one drive in your machine . And what games benefit from being on a ssd? Because i have not noticed any diffrence bar a few seconds loading in couterstrike or metro , arma 3 etc . A fast mechanical drive for games like a western digital black is fast enough for gaming . Will never be as fast as an ssd but the diffrence is hardly noticable

I didn't say only have one drive. It's always good to have a mechanical because it's better for dumb storage- music, videos etc all the stuff that eats up space.

What games benefit? Many do. Often Unreal Engine ones, texture streaming for example. Loading times. Especially open world ones where you stream a lot of assets. Watch Dogs, GTA, Fallout, Elder scrolls etc all massively reduces asset streaming lag.

What with all these games having ridiculous install sizes now 250GB hardly seems enough. 30GB+ can easily be sw*llowed by the OS, if you take into account updates over maybe a year. I only have about 6 games installed at the moment on steam alone and it's like 80GB lol.gif * +

spartan2 17.11.14 - 11:25pm

@ nobyboy - 17.11.14 - 12:11pm
WhT are these hybrid drives all about??

A mechanical drive with a small amount of SSD type memory which caches the most often used data to make it faster than a typical mechanical drive. Cheaper than a pure SSD but larger because of the mechanical, but also therefore slower than pure SSD. It's half and half basically.

Useful if you don't have a lot of free bays for drives. But IMO best solution is a pure SSD and another mechanical storage drive in the same machine. I have one SSD and two mechanical drives in RAID 0 for storage. * +

« <> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-11
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
6 first page
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index