! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Escape from Windows XP - Page 3/4

Subject: Escape from Windows XP
« <> »
banbury 5.05.14 - 06:48am
recently, I saw an aricle in science magazine that claimed NASA are planning on getting the internet into space. Maybe the astronauts want to watch catch up tv?! * +

spartan2 5.05.14 - 02:56pm
Really that's why it would be expensive. It would mean new hardware as well as new software. The government are idiots though or basically still corrupt. Someone gets kickbacks to buy expensive equipment. Supplier would charge the government a thousand pounds a machine when everybody else would only pay 300 quid for them.

The NHS is the main problem with most of their hundreds of thousands of computers being xp. They should probably go linux. My school at the time went linux not long before I left because it saved tens of thousands, it was fairly unique at the time the ICT head had an article written about the cost savings in a few magazines * +

banbury 5.05.14 - 07:29pm
if they went linux it would save them a bomb * +

spartan2 5.05.14 - 11:17pm
If the whole lot were converted to Linux then it could save the UK government hundreds of millions. However it would require good security measures and a fair bit of retraining. * +

newt182 6.05.14 - 03:04am
I don't think the government care too much about saving money. They spend 22 pounds on a light bulb that costs 60 something pence. * +

spartan2 6.05.14 - 08:43am
They overpay for everything that much is true. Whether it's paperclips or aircraft carriers. Some it that is due to them delaying though. The Navy suffered it for years. They plan for 12 destroyers or whatever and build a few. Dilly dally on the rest and as the costs shoot up as it takes years to decide they cancel them. If they had just gone ahead with all 12 straight away they would have got them for the price of the 6 they got in the end because of the messing about. Classic really * +

spartan2 6.05.14 - 08:51am
You can see this with HS1 can't you lol.gif by the time it is finished it will have doubled in cost and not have been remotely worth it * +

« <> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-4
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
6 first page
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index