! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

AMD Ryzen - Page 2/11

Subject: AMD Ryzen
« <> »
alvar89 23.02.17 - 02:36pm
The k series i3 was a joke also requiring a decent motherboard and cost almost as far as the non k i5s. They made the pentium chips hyper threaded and will make the newer i5 hyper threaded but will also bring the price up. The pentium chip now costs the same what an i3 was. * +

spartan2 23.02.17 - 04:46pm
Ryzen's strategy is becoming quite clear, more but slower cores.

For example if the 3.3ghz 1600x 6C/12T comes in at 260 pounds in the U.K, you can get a 3.8ghz 7600k for as low as 210 pounds. 7600k is probably gonna beat up that processor on anything that uses 4 cores or less. 1600X is gonna win on anything that uses 5+ cores.

You spend the extra if you really are going to use 6 cores a lot. You don't if you won't.

Overclocking is one factor less known. If the 6 cores or 8 cores for example do overclock well to improve their single core performance then it would swing it towards Ryzen. * +

alvar89 23.02.17 - 05:29pm
Its there first attempt with this architecture. Next one will propably get refinements and higher clocks. Still impressive the tdp on them. It will have a disadvantage in having dual channel vs intels quad on the E series i7s. * +

norega 23.02.17 - 09:25pm
Same thing was said here when I bought a q6600 , pointless getting a quad as games don't work on 4 cores blah blah blah . More than 4 cores will be used once the become mainstream, Gota be thick to choose a quad over an 8 core now * +

alvar89 23.02.17 - 10:51pm
The cpus with more cores seem to run games much smoother when streaming also. Would love to upgrade from my i7 to double the cores soon as its 5 years old almost already. Held up nice this far tho not bottlenecking my gtx 1070 etc. * +

spartan2 24.02.17 - 04:59pm
[LINK]http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-gaming-performance-benchmarks-leak/[/LINK]

Is why you have to need more cores for rendering rather than faster ones for gaming.

The faster 4 core destroys 8 slower cores in gaming like it does to intel's own 6 cores, in GTA5 the difference between minimum framerates is massive stock v stock, over 30 percent. That's the difference between the game dropping below 30FPS and staying close to 40FPS!

If you use it for rendering the extra multi threading is a boon, but if it's for anything less like gaming then the quad single threaded performance makes more sense.

Problem is the vast vast majority of consumers just don't need more than 4 cores at the moment. In the distant future when they are more mainstream it'll change. Some way off yet though, lots of cores is a niche market. * +

alvar89 24.02.17 - 05:04pm
Im afraid the 4 cores will bite dust like the core 2 duos did really soon when games take advantage of 8 cores. The scorpio might also influence it. Hyper threaded not too much as seen with i3 running games like gta 5 compared to non HT pentiums but still drop alot of performance compared to the i5s. * +

« <> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-11
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
6 first page
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index