! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

HD laptops - Page 2/3

Subject: HD laptops
« <> »
nosfratu 25.02.15 - 10:25pm
Well my understanding it has more to do with the aspect ratio than it actually have to do with the fact that its either HD or FHD screen resolutions as before 2006 most laptops were mostly either gaming or busines or student products these days it marketed as home entertainment unit for more broader minded clientelle which is why they now advertise as HD or FHD as the common man on the street only WANTS TO HEAR if it has HD or FHD. I work in retail sell plasma's LED tv Smart Tv' Android tv's laptops and most people today still don't have a clue what HD is. I still get people that buy a FHD LED tv with a satelite decoder and then come back and say its got cr*ppy picture ... But they channel they watch on satelite are these cr*ppy old Hallmark movies made in the 40's. They believe if its an FHD tv that all the channels are going to be crystal clear even on satelite there's only select few channels that's FHD the rest just barely broadcast in HD. * +

nosfratu 25.02.15 - 10:30pm
The 4:3 aspect ratio was common in older television cathode ray tube (CRT) displays, which were not easily adaptable to a wider aspect ratio. When good quality alternate technologies (i.e., liquid crystal displays (LCDs) and plasma displays) became more available and less costly, around the year 2000, the common computer displays and entertainment products moved to a wider aspect ratio, first to the 16:10 ratio. The 16:10 ratio allowed some compromise between showing older 4:3 aspect ratio broadcast TV shows, but also allowing better viewing of widescreen movies. However, around the year 2005, entertainment industry displays (i.e., TV sets) gradually moved from 16:10 to the 16:9 aspect ratio, for further improvement of viewing widescreen movies. By about 2007, virtually all mass market entertainment displays were 16:9. In 2011, 1920x1080 (Full HD, the native resolution of Blu-ray) was the favored resolution in the most heavily marketed entertainment market displays. The next standard, 3840x2160 (Ultra HD alias 4K) emerged in 2013, but movies and TV stations do not support that resolution yet. Also in 2013, displays with 2560x1080 (aspect ratio 64:27 or 2.37:1, however commonly referred to as 21:9 for comparison with 16:9) appeared, which closely approximate the common CinemaScope movie standard aspect ratio of 2.35-2.40:1. In 2014, 21:9 screens with pixel dimensions of 3440x1440 (actual aspect ratio 43:18 or 2.39:1) became available.

The computer display industry maintained the 16:10 aspect ratio longer than the entertainment industry, but in the 20052010 period, computers were increasingly marketed as dual use products, with uses in the traditional computer applications, but also as means of viewing entertainment content. In this time frame, with the notable exception of Apple, almost all desktop, laptop, and display manufacturers gradually moved to promoting only 16:9 aspect ratio displays. By 2011, the 16:10 aspect ratio had virtually disappeared from t * +

nosfratu 25.02.15 - 10:32pm
Continued from above:

By 2011, the 16:10 aspect ratio had virtually disappeared from the Windows laptop display market (although Macintosh laptops are still mostly 16:10, including the 2880x1800 Retina MacBook Pro). One artifact is that the highest available resolutions moved downward in this time frame (i.e., the move from 1920x1200 laptop displays to 1920x1080 displays). * +

banbury 26.02.15 - 12:52am
HD relates to the resolution of the display and has no connection with the screens aspect ratio. the first widescreen laptops were 16.10 as iam sure you are aware, the Acer aspire 5315 series is one example of a 16.10 laptop which is not supposed to have a HD screen, yet it has the same 1366 resolution as todays 16.9 laptops that are advertised as having HD screens. that resolution is classed as HD, but obviously not full HD which is 1920 as you so correctly point out. the Acer 5315 supposedly does not have a HD screen, like most other laptops of 2008 era. * +

banbury 26.02.15 - 01:00am
personally I prefer 16.10 for laptops, but obviously they are not made like that anymore * +

banbury 26.02.15 - 01:09am
just as a pointer I still have an old laptop with a 4.3 aspect ratio screen, yet the display resution is actually 1280 which by all rights, should be classed as being just over 720p resolution, however crazy that may sound! so maybe you now see where iam coming from? the fact that the majority of laptops today have no higher resolution screens than many older 16.10 laptops, even though they are marketed as having superior screens in terms of resolution alone. so on that basis I believe it to be very misleading. * +

nosfratu 27.02.15 - 05:38pm
Yeah I also understand where u come from and that's where the difference between the panels that's used come in either lcd panels or LED panels. I still think the main advertising strategy over the years changed where laptops innitially were marketed at business people rather than for home use or multimedia guess a businesman didn't need to know that he has/needs an HD display on his laptop to view a spreadsheat. So I guess with the shift in market they also had to shift marketing material to make it more appealing for home or multimedia intensive consumers to buy. * +

« <> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-3
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
6 first page
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index