! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Using a pc with a blown capacitor - Page 2/3

Subject: Using a pc with a blown capacitor
« <> »
ungers 24.08.15 - 08:28am
I'm only using laptops these days, but in the past I had to change a capcitor on my desktop.....NEVER try to desolder it.....the board is multi-layered, and too much heat can cause all kinds of problems....I used a side-cutter, and gently clipped away at the damaged cap...then I resoldered a new one onto the legs of the old one.... * +

ungers 24.08.15 - 08:33am
Cheap or improperly filled caps tend to burst at the top.....I used to give my mainboad a gentle dusting with a soft paintbrush, and inspected the board at the same time.... * +

mok214 24.08.15 - 11:56am
When it comes to electronics, I never solder anything without using heat sinks. Surprise, heat sinks have been used for soldering long before computers came around. * +

norega 24.08.15 - 06:01pm

@ mok214 - 24.08.15 - 11:56am
When it comes to electronics, I never solder anything without using heat sinks. Surprise, heat sinks have been used for soldering long before computers came around.

What are you talking about * +

norega 24.08.15 - 06:01pm

@ ungers - 24.08.15 - 08:28am
I'm only using laptops these days, but in the past I had to change a capcitor on my desktop.....NEVER try to desolder it.....the board is multi-layered, and too much heat can cause all kinds of problems....I used a side-cutter, and gently clipped away at the damaged cap...then I resoldered a new one onto the legs of the old one....

I have desoldered hundreds of them , with the right gear its easy . * +

mok214 25.08.15 - 06:02am

@ norega - 24.08.15 - 06:01pm
What are you talking about

This.

Motherboards have metals that can melt when exposed to heat from a soldering gun, so you clip these on to dump the heat before it reaches something fragile. Soldering has long been used before there were any electronics. Take copper pipes for example, you also used heatsinks so you wouldn't risk setting anything on fire. * +

norega 25.08.15 - 08:14am

@ mok214 - 25.08.15 - 06:02am
This.

Motherboards have metals that can melt when exposed to heat from a soldering gun, so you clip these on to dump the heat before it reaches something fragile. Soldering has long been used before there were any electronics. Take copper pipes for example, you also used heatsinks so you wouldn't risk setting anything on fire.

on modern computer motherboards and electronics in general these are not needed . The pcb's in modern electronics are upto 20 layers thick with a solid sheet of copper for heat protection . Plus modern components can withstand heat 10 times what a solder iron can output * +

« <> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-3
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
6 first page
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index