! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Korg ms2000 synthesizer - Page 1/2

Subject: Korg ms2000 synthesizer
Replies: 13 Views: 1437
> »
usbcable 28.02.17 - 06:46pm
Where I work we have a korg ms2000 synth and it died. It is 17 years old and the DSP chip died. It started making a grainy distorted sound when it was played a while back so I decided to replace all the electrolytic capacitors but after this there was no sound at all.... * +

usbcable 28.02.17 - 06:50pm
So I went On line and found a korg forum with a topic with ms2000 DSP error and lots of people had a similar fault. They suggested replacing the DSP with a new one. So I decided to buy a new one which was a bit of a mission because they are quite rare now... * +

usbcable 28.02.17 - 06:58pm
I found a supplier on eBay of the DSP chip in the USA costing 12 UK pounds including delivery so I ordered one. After two weeks it arrived. Meanwhile I was looking at how to unsolder the old one and replace it with the new chip which wasn't looking like a good option for me to do this job with the cheap soldering iron I had to hand. * +

usbcable 28.02.17 - 07:03pm
So I decided to find a company that could do the work for me. After an hour on google and a few telephone calls later I had found a company that does rework and circuit board repair. The guy even came to my work place picked the board and the new chip up and took back to his workshop to do the repairs. After a few days he brought back again. I checked the board over and the newly soldered DSP chip looked perfect. * +

usbcable 28.02.17 - 07:08pm
I carefully reassembled the synthesiser then plugged in the audio jack cables to a mixer in the office sound system and then the power supply for the synth. At this point I was getting anxious to find out if it would work properly again..., * +

usbcable 28.02.17 - 07:10pm
Hurray it works!!!! I'm so pleased that it works again! Restored to like new happy * +

usbcable 28.02.17 - 07:49pm
Here's the DSP chip

* +

crail 1.03.17 - 02:39am
Nerd * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-2
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply