! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Core i7 6700 vs 6700k - Page 1/2

Subject: Core i7 6700 vs 6700k
Replies: 9 Views: 655
> »
banbury 15.06.16 - 02:57am
I do realise that the K version is designed for overclocking and its stock speed is 4ghz compared to 3.5 for the non K version. But my mate who builds systems claims the non K version has faster single core performance and extra features over the K variant. Can anyone confirm this and what those extra features are? * +

3mel 15.06.16 - 06:14am
are... probably best googled * +

norega 15.06.16 - 08:00am
They are both the same chip but the k version is unlocked . I believe they both boost to the same clock speed to . * +

banbury 15.06.16 - 02:07pm
I tried googling this and was unable to find anything at all. infact its almost as if the non K version of the CPU doesnt even exist! all I got was references to the 6700k only. but I dont think there is much of a performance difference between the two as you say cos its more or less the same chip bar the slightly higher stock clock speed of 4ghz. (I dont know about the so called extra features of the non K version but I might contact Intel about that) * +

banbury 15.06.16 - 04:34pm
UPDATE: after contacting Intel today it seems the extra features on the non K version are connected with security and various 'embedded options' which are not included with the K chip, but they are things that are unlikely to benefit the ordinary consumer. I did ask about the claimed superior single core performance of the non K chip but unfortunately the operators system crashed so he was unable to research that. Although some benchmarks online do seem to show that single core performance is better with the non K chip, even if it may not be a huge difference. * +

banbury 15.06.16 - 04:43pm
That said, according to a lot of benchmarks the older core i7 4790 has better single performance than both of the skylake chips discussed here, but skylake seems to outpace it in every other department, if only slightly. * +

spartan2 19.06.16 - 11:30pm
i7 6700 base clock is 3.4ghz, boost to 4ghz. i7 6700k is base 4ghz and boosts to 4.2ghz. So the K is faster.

The K has an unlocked multiplier, the non k has hardware security features that you won't use, mainly aimed at enterprise use.

Devil's Canyon aka the 4970k boosts to 4.4ghz which can on the odd occasion give it a slight edge in single thread, but generally the 6700k is the better and faster CPU by a little margin. 5-10 percent maybe. It also has native DDR4 support which can make a big difference- i7 6700k with high end graphics and fast memory it can pull away in many circumstances from the older 4790. When 6700k came out DDR4 was pricy and it was often tested with 2133mhz, now the faster 3200+ modules are much cheaper and can make a difference.

Z170 is also more modern with better support for upcoming CPUs.

I haz 6700k so know those specs good2.gif * +

banbury 20.06.16 - 01:22pm
thanks for that but the 6700 non K also supports DDR4 of course. * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-2
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark