! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

UBuntu on laptop - Page 1/1

Subject: UBuntu on laptop
Replies: 6 Views: 1355

joe.sa 18.03.16 - 01:41pm
Good day,I have an older Windows computer. It has a dual-boot-system with uBuntu (which is a Debian-like Linux). Its full of bugs and whenever I want to do somehing I must first download some software. When I do that I usually get another error message. Is it worth the while to try and continue or am I flogging a dead horse? * +

kazannts 18.03.16 - 11:35pm
Have you tried updating to the latest version? Or even changing to a different version of Linux? * +

joe.sa 19.03.16 - 04:53pm
I tried updating yesterday. Didn't want to. Must admit my internet connection is not of the best. * +

norega 21.03.16 - 06:53am
If you are migrating to linux from a windows environment i would try linux mint . It's probably the best distro for newbies to linux * +

joe.sa 22.03.16 - 07:59pm
Tx * +

warded 9.06.23 - 10:28pm

@ norega - 21.03.16 - 06:53am
If you are migrating to linux from a windows environment i would try linux mint . It's probably the best distro for newbies to linux

Mint does certain things out of the box that appeal to noobcakes and thus obscures some lessons needed to learn when switching to a gnu/linux distro. For example multimedia playback, a ''normal'' free distro avoids most nonfree packages... and thus only play back OGG and other free formats by default. You have to enable nonfree packages and install stuff from there, it is only a few clicks and key presses, but a valuable lesson. Distros also avoid nonfree packages directly because of possibl * +

warded 9.06.23 - 10:32pm
... possible lawsuits. in fact, it was downright illegal to distribute mint in various countries back in the day. The mint devs have made some good contributions to the community, but FROM FREEDOM CAME MY ARSE *

Quick reply:

+ refresh
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search