! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Oculaus Rift on the cheap - Page 1/3

Subject: Oculaus Rift on the cheap
Replies: 20 Views: 2757
> »
veronee 19.08.15 - 10:37pm
some know me as a somewhat tech geek slash nerd. and most have heard of the oculus rift that 400 quid lump of virtual reality headset wear.well , using a PC some software and my Iphone i created a oculus rift that cost me eight british pounds. first off you require some software, for your IOS phone you need to download gagagu streamer application from the app store. at the same time you need to download the gagagu streamer windows server. (google is your friend ) * +

veronee 19.08.15 - 10:41pm
you will run your PC games in windowed mode, and start your gagagu server , and start you iphone application and connect to the server. all well and god you should see a duplicate screen of the pc desktop on your phone. two images aka the left eye and right eye. SO you need a google cardboard headset , Now the better the phone screen the betetr the fimal images and tricking of your brain. Iphone 5 works but its a 720p screen, iphone 6 and galaxy 5-6 both are 1080p so the best. * +

veronee 19.08.15 - 10:43pm
So yeah, if you want to try out VR but not have to become a developer or a software hacker, you can try this stuff with just your standard smartphone and pc. play your games, stream 3d movies (side by side) and watch them on the cheap google cardboard. at the end of 2015 start 2016 your going to see consumer headset arrive with huge cost so jump in now and get a headstart * +

veronee 19.08.15 - 10:50pm
GAMES : project cars - assetto corsa - euro truck sim 2 - COD - MW3 MW2 and other fps shooters. this headset ware and head trakcing is best used in FPS or driving sims. spend around 15-20 min stints to get used to the out of body feeling and help you control the vommit comet syndrome ( you will feel sick, you may throw up ). its going to be a weird feeling at first and a jaw dropping OMG but forget the eyecandy and just focus on the task, either shooting bad guys or getting round the track quic * +

veronee 1.09.15 - 10:52pm
have taken this and upgrade the project to a full on tracking headset. But with a HD quality LCD screen usually found in high end smartphones and tablets. a cheap universal LCD controller driver hooked up to the screen and a super quick 1000hz IMU doing the tracking via compass accelerometer and gyroscope, mine also comes with a barometer and will give a temp reading via pressure changes in a seal can unit. to make it an Oculus we have to do some computer hackery * +

veronee 1.09.15 - 10:56pm
this involes removeing the electronic erase read only memory chip and re-programming it to think it is an oculus rift. once this is re-porgammed and solder back into place the whole unit acts like a rift headset. i should start to work on my prototype tomorrow and many months of brain ache to get everything dialed in. but my version is different as its for drone pilots as well as gamers * +

newt182 2.09.15 - 06:51pm
So tacky. * +

veronee 2.09.15 - 10:55pm
its ok newt i will dump the topic as its tacky so you say, never mind you pay your thousand pound for your next VR gaming computer with 3d screen, me i make my own using off the shelf parts hacking them together learning stuff at the same time....... anyways nuff said TOPIC IS CLOSED and will NOT be updated with any more tips hints coding links - software code- * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-3
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search