! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Long windows install - Page 1/3

Subject: Long windows install
Replies: 15 Views: 2839
> »
phly_kid 12.12.14 - 10:48am
I have a friend who has a very peculiar problem. He tried to install windows 8 PRO and it took days until he even cancelled. Windows 7 too reacts in a similar fashion. however he has a copy of windows 8 consumer preview that came out before official windows 8 and that one works just perfect. Like a dream infact. What could be causing such long install times. Pc has 1gb ram, a dual core cpu. think mobo is MSI N1996 * +

norega 12.12.14 - 12:38pm
Sounds like a hard drive problem . Windows 8 consumer preview was a small install compared to windows 7 and windows 8 pro so it would be writing to the good part of the disc and missing the damaged part ,were as the other installs being larger are trying to write to the damaged area . * +

phly_kid 12.12.14 - 02:11pm
So any suggestions or workarounds. I'm sure he has quite a number of hard drives so trying on another HD shouldnt be a problem. But can we rule out any bios settings that in some way may affect the install. Consumer runs way better than even win7 starter. cant get my head around what could be the problem to offer him better help. * +

norega 12.12.14 - 07:21pm
Ok update the bios and set everything at default and try the install again . Also try running memtest to check the ram is working fine. But i believe this is a hardrive problem judging by your first post as the smaller install is missing the damaged part of the hard disc * +

phly_kid 12.12.14 - 08:51pm
He told me has tried almost countless hard drives and in all of them same thing. updating bios and mem test may help though so ill suggest checking out those two routes and see if he gets anywhere. thank you for the suggestions so far * +

norega 12.12.14 - 09:21pm
If he is getting the same problem on all the drives then its bad memory or motherboard . Hope you fix it * +

sonicbom 13.12.14 - 04:56am
It may be bad ram, or harddisk, or may be the bad dvd player. Try insall using usb drive. * +

phly_kid 13.12.14 - 10:24am
I doubt all HDD's would be bad. But the usb method is an alternative. Perhaps dvd writer is at fault too * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-3
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search