! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Difference in RAM - Page 1/2

Subject: Difference in RAM
Replies: 10 Views: 1907
> »
phly_kid 27.11.14 - 10:30pm
I bought some ram sticks in order to upgrade the laptop i'm having from the standard 4gb to 8GB ram. a slight oversite happened and I now have two different sticks and from what i have come to learn one operates at 667mhz and the other at 800Mhz. So the entire Ram setup runs at 667Mhz but dual channel. Will I notice a difference if both sticks are 800mhz? Or is the difference not that major to return the sticks for higher rated ones? The lappy is used for graphics and video editing. * +

spartan2 28.11.14 - 07:02pm
The difference will be virtually imperceptible. The best thing you might do if you don't want the hassle of sending them back, is downloading something like CPUZ and seeing on the SPD tab what the lowest latency you can run the sticks @ 667mhz and then making sure that is what they are running at.

If you can lower the latency settings it'll probably make up for not having the higher clocks.

For example my sticks are rated CAS 8 @ 1600mhz but if you run them slower like 1333 you can run CAS 7. The performance difference is virtually zero at either setting TBH, higher clocks is only slightly better in very very few circumstances * +

phly_kid 28.11.14 - 08:09pm
I didnt even know all this about RAM until after i bought it. I already checked with cpu z and under DRAM frequency i'm running at 664.9Mhz. So that's about 1330 but not sure about the rest. will post pics here maybe they'll help. https://db.tt/MLTJ8y2X and https://db.tt/dEYYqaa6 Maybe someone can enlighten me on the figures on there. Good to know though that the performance difference will not be enormous with higher clocked ram * +

spartan2 28.11.14 - 08:26pm
The slowest slot 1 is a 1333mhz module, the other one is a 1600mhz module. It's double data rate so it's double the clockspeed quoted there for actual speed.

You obviously run at the speed of the lowest stick, but clearly you can see the RAM in slot 2 says it can do CAS 9 - 9 - 9 - 24 -33 @ 685mhz same as the other one @ 666. You have them at 665 or thereabouts.

So make sure the timings above are correctly set in bios for maximum performance @ 665mhz. The difference in performance between 1333 CAS 9 and 1600 CAS 11 are miniscule. * +

phly_kid 28.11.14 - 09:07pm
Bios can't really be set. Its a dell laptop. Studio xps 1645 to be exact. So it just defaults to running at the fastest speed of the slowest stick. In this case the 1333mhz module. I have been stressing about it as i wanted this laptop as old as it is to run as fast as possible. Now atleast I can put my mind at rest if the difference will be as minimal as you state. Thanks spartan2. Glad to see that you are still around after all these years here on pro offering help where you can thanks * +

john_163 2.12.14 - 06:29am
i got a ?.. so we can run 2 diffrent brand ram stick togather? or it wont work? coz i gave im plang to upgrade my ram to more 8gb an thinkb of get gskull stick..n my frnd said ul need same brand of ram to upgrade * +

phly_kid 2.12.14 - 07:37am
you can run two different brands but its NOT advised. You are best off running the same brand and same clock speed sticks. I could only upgrade mine one at a time hence the issue and only got concerned when i didnt see a massive jump from 6gb to 8gb like i was expecting. I didnt know any better at the time but based on my experience now go same brand same frequency/speed. The main indicator however if you go different brands and pc rejects the setup is the pc will not boot. * +

john_163 2.12.14 - 12:51pm
tnx kid... looks like il need to sell my ram n get a pair of 2 8gb gskull ram...curently have transend 1333mhz 4x2(puke) * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-2
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search