! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

INSTALLING WIN 7 ON WIN 8 LAPTOP - Page 1/2

Subject: INSTALLING WIN 7 ON WIN 8 LAPTOP
Replies: 13 Views: 1528
> »
banbury 8.11.14 - 10:30pm
iam considering totally formatting the drive and doing a clean installation of windows 7. Formatting and doing a clean install is usually a straightforward process but ive heard installing an alternative operating system on a win 8 computer is not, am I correct? Something related to the bios perhaps? Has anybody actually been able to do this successfully? Iam curious. * +

alvar89 9.11.14 - 07:37am
Depends on the machine dell usually has some blockage first to hassle with. * +

newt182 9.11.14 - 02:31pm
I can't see why it would be any different than installing Win 7 on any computer. * +

banbury 9.11.14 - 05:43pm
thats what you would have thought newt182. I usually format with a program called killdisk to format the drive, allways prefer a clean installation. Its a samsung alvar89 * +

banbury 9.11.14 - 05:44pm
thats what you would have thought newt182, its just stories ive heard. I usually format with a program called killdisk to format the drive, allways prefer a clean installation. Its a samsung alvar89. Maybe most people have tried to downgrade and thats where they have hit problems. I know you cant officially downgrade unless you have windows 8 pro, and considering consumer laptops dont have that preinstalled its undestandable. * +

banbury 9.11.14 - 05:55pm
as far as I understand though, there is something different about the bios and ive heard rumours its something microsoft have done to make it harder to either downgrade or clean install of an older operating system. But it may not be true, but iam sure someone on prodigits must have attempted a clean install of windows 7 on a win 8 computer. * +

newt182 9.11.14 - 06:19pm
Does the BIOS only support secure boot or something? (Edit: If that is the case I think that is really bad) Also I know the SLIC is different from Win 7, but I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem. * +

newt182 9.11.14 - 06:25pm
Anyway, can't you just create a backup image of the drive and restore it if things go wrong? * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-2
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search