! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

3 male usb point. problem - Page 1/3

Subject: 3 male usb point. problem
Replies: 17 Views: 1436
> »
xxi 4.10.14 - 02:21pm
I got a usb laptop harddrive external enclosure with a cable with 3 male usb ends. One plugs into the drive and the other two plugs into the pc I presume for extra power. But I can't find the cable and bought a male 2 male cable but it doesn't work it needs that extra usb male head. And I can't find the same cable anywhere. It there a custom plan I can make ? Plz help
* +

newt182 4.10.14 - 02:48pm
The reason you can't find that cable is because it doesn't adhere to USB standards. * +

xxi 5.10.14 - 08:29am
Its called a Y type A all male cable and all it does is adding another part 5v power to boot up the drive gonna try and bridge it * +

newt182 5.10.14 - 03:57pm
I know. I have the same type of enclosure. * +

iminuru 6.10.14 - 04:44am
@xxi, If you dont mind, just have proper usb plugs (male/female what ever is needed,) It has got 4 pin/connections, just google for proper connection,wiring or diagram. you will find alot of circuits where you can feed extra 5Volts to the HDD by modifying and connecting an external 5v supply towards the HDD. * +

iminuru 6.10.14 - 04:48am
I'll give you hints here. the 2 pins at outer side of USB connector are for 5V+ and ground, the inner 2 pins are for data, just cut the 1 wire carrying 5V+ and joint it to any regulated DC 5v+ towards the HDD, make sure this supply dont run into PC. * +

iminuru 6.10.14 - 04:50am
Next join the negative/ground of that very regulated DC 5v supply to the ground wire of the usb cable it will be 1 among the 2 outer pins of USB connector and make sure it is connected to both the HDD and PC. and dont disturbe the 2 inner data wires of the USB cable. * +

iminuru 6.10.14 - 04:58am
Now You will have a cable that is connected to an adopter/power supply that can feed 5V (1 amp) to the HDD, and this cable has got 2 proper connectors that can be connected to PC and HDD * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-3
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search