! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Using a pc with a blown capacitor - Page 1/3

Subject: Using a pc with a blown capacitor
Replies: 20 Views: 2038
> »
waplinxs 7.08.14 - 09:22pm
Computer gave blue screen, and froze a couple of times, rebooted a couple of times and running fine again. I checked inside and found a small capacitor had popped on mainboard. It's a Core2 Quad Socket LGA 775 and a intel mainboard. Voltages are all correct in intel desktop utilities app. Is it safe to run it like this till I get hold of new mainboard? I know the mainboard might stop working altogether, but it's going to be replaced. I'm worried something else in pc gets damaged. * +

waplinxs 7.08.14 - 09:22pm
Mainboard will be replaced on monday. * +

ndrau 12.07.15 - 09:34pm
Did something else pop ? * +

norega 13.07.15 - 12:25pm
If its running the and capacitor has blown you risk long term damage to the rest of the board. I have replaced dozens of blown out capacitors on electrical items including motherboards and graphics cards ,Its very easy and capacitors are cheap as chips * +

3mel 13.07.15 - 08:56pm
he asked nearly a year ago, I think it's taken care of by now * +

1clivey1 19.08.15 - 01:45am
yea if the cap has blown it stores the juice like a battery n will chain react * +

veronee 19.08.15 - 10:32pm
capacitors stores a certain amount of electric at a governed voltage, it will be marked on the capacitor like 35v and 200farrads etc etc. Running with a damaged capacitor means if the computer requests an extra boost of power, say when a fan winds up to speed, it comes from a capacitor. the stored energy is released, but the meantime the capacitor then fills back up. * +

waplinxs 19.08.15 - 11:24pm
Actually I'm still running the computer to this very day. Lol. It gives problems every so often. Drives have been clicking for almost a year now. I'm betting they are damaged from the problem with capacitor. When it finally all dies, if it ever does. I'm thinking I'll just have to get whole new computer * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-3
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search