! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

NEW GPU for an old build... - Page 1/4

Subject: NEW GPU for an old build...
Replies: 22 Views: 3366
> »
jay.mack 30.07.14 - 03:10am
about 4.5 years ago i knocked up an i7 920/hd5870 build. in that time i have used it for 3dsmax, gaming, fractal art and media. its still running rock solid 3.6 on stock volts so still stands up to the newer i5's in some respects.
what i wanna do is throw a couple of hundred at it and double the gpu power with a single high end card. but i have choices. i can spend 300-350 on an R9 290x or go to 475 and get a 780ti. i even considered sli-770's... or my final option wait till october/nov to see if the maxwell cards arrive as some predict. reasoning more gpu for the money, lower power consumption (300w+ for a gpu is getting ridiculous)... anyways suggestions/ opinions? * +

brett82 30.07.14 - 06:05am
780ti would be my choice but i would just wait now for maxwell high end cards. * +

spartan2 30.07.14 - 12:26pm
I7 920 is still surprisingly fast especially at gaming. Largely because it has so much memory bandwidth from that unique triple channel setup. I have seen it match and even beat an FX8350 on games @ stock 2.67ghz despite the fact it is nearly 6 years old. It should have no major problems with any of the faster single cards when it's overclocked like that. * +

jay.mack 30.07.14 - 01:46pm
yeah mate its never let me down for gaming. my quandary is, on 3ds max you can change the default renderer to nvidia cuda based. which means i can take advantage gpgpu render, so potentially much faster over all render times, resulting in cheaper running cost but a much higher inital cost.
the r9 is much cheaper, but runs hot, offers no advantage in 3ds max but is very grunty in current games. 90 pcnt of the ti's performance for 70 pcnt of the cost is a tempting saving... * +

spartan2 31.07.14 - 12:52am
Always had Nvidia for a long time now as my primary choice. They are usually a bit more expensive for similar performance I freely admit that but I see a value of it elsewhere in general compatibility and baseline performance. * +

norega 31.07.14 - 01:09pm
I would personaly wait until the new nvidia cards h*t the market . * +

spartan2 31.07.14 - 10:56pm
It should be 2 months. Mid October at the latest. * +

jay.mack 1.08.14 - 01:07pm
yeah , had a chat with a mate last night and his conclusion was the same as yours its to close to a new iteration release, so il be waiting...
* +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-4
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index