! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

SD card corruption - Page 1/1

Subject: SD card corruption
Replies: 7 Views: 1718

usbcable 7.06.14 - 06:31pm
well recently I installed a disk image on a SD card so that I could boot my Pi, then copied the same image to a hard drive since i want the OS to run from there. so I modified the configuration files on the SD card to make the PI switch to hard disk just after boot. now the SD card is only being read just once at boot so I set the little write disable switch on the side of the SD card so the Pi can't change anything on it. all well and good.., * +

usbcable 7.06.14 - 06:38pm
so I'm running some program's on the Pi then it freezes and I'm forced to pull the power. the next time I power it back up I see that the SD card has corrupted files on it. this normally happens when running a Pi only on an SD card because bad writes or power loss in the middle of a write to SD card will corrupt it. but I set the card to read only on the little switch on the card and it dosent get written to as the OS is running of hard disk so how did my card end up getting corrupted??? confuse.gif * +

mok214 7.06.14 - 10:10pm
Bad cells in the memory structure. They will all go bad over time. But when it happens in the directory, it can corrupt a whole lot of sectors all at once.
They are also very susceptible to heat and static electricity. It could also have been caused by an over voltage. * +

meghertz 15.06.14 - 04:06pm
I've found sd cards to be quite unreliable most of the time. I'm only recently after getting a 64gb back from RMA cos i had the sheer audacity to try it in my son's Hudl tablet, just to see if we could transfer files easier. the card died even though both items are meant to be hot swappable. that's not the first to go bad on me, it happens a lot. but then, i do tend to put them through a lot. big files, multiple writes, multiple erasures etc * +

spartan2 16.06.14 - 12:26am
SD cards are rubbish for reliability. Never keep anything important on one without being backed up. I only buy branded cards but most are pretty susceptible to pressure or heat and can corrupt quite easily for seemingly no particular reason.

They are fine for short term storage but if anything important is on them I get it off onto a backup as soon as I can. * +

mok214 17.06.14 - 12:07pm
If you want a good SD card, buy Crucial. Okay.gif * +

ungers 22.06.14 - 06:40am
Sandisk or Kingston.....but be sure to buy it at a respectable retailer...... * +

myhope 9.07.14 - 12:59pm
use dos the main engine of pc coppy this format d:* /x /f *

Quick reply:

+ refresh
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search