! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

chrome and firefox - Page 1/4

Subject: chrome and firefox
Replies: 23 Views: 3340
> »
banbury 15.02.14 - 01:51am
when I go to work I take my old netbook with me a packard bell kav 60 which I purchased in 2010 as far as I remember. So while its certainly not one of the earliest models of netbooks it isnt state of the art either. Spec: single core intel atom N270, 250gb hard drive, and ram upgraded to 2gb. * +

banbury 15.02.14 - 01:58am
since new ive been running firefox and chrome on this machine without a hitch. However ive noticed that over the past few months the latest versions of chrome and firefox run painfully slow on this netbook. Is this cos the two browsers are now more bloated and so more demanding than ever before? Ive now had no choice but to remove chrome and firefox and install the latest version of opera instead which seems to be ok on this machine. * +

banbury 15.02.14 - 02:07am
but my question is, has anyone else encountered this issue on older or low power computers? Iam curious. Opera is ok but I do prefer the interfaces of the other two browsers so its a tad disappointing. * +

metulj 15.02.14 - 07:42am
i use IBM T61, CPU T7300, 2GB RAM, bought in 2006,
no such problems at all, plus win 8.1 ENT x64 tested and runs just perfect :)

I think you should clean cache, temp, etc,
maybe completelly remove firefox and chrome including profiles,
and try fresh install latest versions.

I'm not sure for chrome, but I do know for firefox,
after many updates, it just doesnt work correct anymore.
It crashes from time to time for no reason,
it doesnt cooperate with flash properly,
sometimes theres no pictures on page,
and so on and so on...
I'm guessing it goes same for chrome.

IMHO, removing all firefox profiles,
removing cache, temp etc,
fresh firefox install, should fix the problem,
same for chrome... * +

banbury 15.02.14 - 03:33pm
interesting thanks for that. But I wonder how your processor compares with the Atom N270? Because in an article I was reading in tech mag last year they said most single core atoms are equivalent to a modest desktop processor from 2003 lol although that didnt surprise me to be honest. I guess opera is very flexible and its the only modern mainstream browser that will run on windows 98 by the way * +

banbury 15.02.14 - 03:47pm
Ive still got the original installation of windows 7 starter on this netbook, although I did have a Toshiba nb100 last year with simular spec and era to my packard, although someone had installed windows 7 premium on it in replace of starter, and interestingly it was running faster than my packard despite only having the default 1gb of ram from new * +

banbury 15.02.14 - 03:53pm
the fact is, it appeared to be running more efficiently on the full version of windows 7! Is that surprising iam not sure? Microsoft told us starter was geared up for netbooks, or is it just a bit of a con just so the computer can be sold cheaper? * +

banbury 15.02.14 - 04:00pm
either way I guess my netbook may benefit from a clean install after nearly 4 years heavy use. But in the meantime Iam going to see if I can find a cpu performance comparison between yours and mine, just out of curiosity, even though I realise the cpu isnt the only factor involved with overall performance. And besides I find it interesting anyway. * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-4
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search