! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Virtual Memory Settings - Page 1/2

Subject: Virtual Memory Settings
Replies: 9 Views: 1422
> »
teddig 24.09.13 - 07:13pm
I am running windows 7, my hard drive is1TB although ive partitioned it exactly in half, i have 4gb ram memory, could anyone tell me what the best setting is for my pc in the virtual memory section plz? * +

sonicbom 24.09.13 - 08:01pm
As per standard of mircosoft, virtual memory should be the size of ram + 600mb. If u r in lot of gaming nd heavy duty work, keep the virtual mem to 2times of ram. If u got 4gb ram keep 8gb virtual. Nd try to keep the virtual paging in other drive to keep os drive cleam * +

starlight 25.09.13 - 12:47am
the best thing to do is. set a large pagefile, 4GB for example. use your computer like you usualy do and observe in task manager, on the performance tab, below the cpu reading, exactly how much of total memory is being used. then set your paging file accordingly. if you are not going above your 4GB of ram, you may not need any paging file at all. if some programs stubbornly insist on a paging file though, you can set something small to shut them up like 512MB and see how they behave. * +

john_163 25.09.13 - 04:31am
i have 8gigs ram how much should i set??? currently its usen 12gigs hd space * +

starlight 25.09.13 - 05:53am
well, i seriously doubt your system will ever use up all 8GB of ram and ask for more unless you are doing something, really heavy or using a program with a serious memory leak.. load your most intensive applications as you normaly do and take a look at your memory usage, i doubt you'll even gonna hit 4GB, let alone 8GB so unless some application insist on pagefile, you don't need a pagefile at all. or make it something small like 512MB or even 256MB to satisfy that application.. * +

john_163 25.09.13 - 10:09am
tnx man... one thing i set the pagen file on drive an took 8gig space now i cnt find the file its still useng the space even though c drive is usen the pagen space.. even clickd show hidden files cnt find * +

john_163 25.09.13 - 10:17am
sori it was usen 8gb on c drive hehe.. it says recommended 12219 mb,,,, currently allocated 8146mb... as u said i have 8gb ram it wont make use of it... is it safe to set no paging file? * +

newt182 25.09.13 - 03:32pm
There is no point in completely disabling the paging file, and in fact there are reasons not to, like your computer wont be able to save minidumps giving you important information from errors. Some programs wont run and even a few games need a paging file to run, like the Warhammer 40,000 games. You wont get any noticeable performance increase by disabling it either. * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-2
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search