! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Celtic news - Page 1269/1271

Subject: Celtic news
« <> »
taigs 2.12.16 - 11:43am
HOW WE EXPOSED SCANDAL

The Daily Record exclusively revealed the Celtic Boys' Club sex abuse scandal a week ago.

In a series of exclusive stories, Scotland's No 1 newspaper unmasked Jim Torbett and Frank Cairney.

We exposed how frightened young players were fondled by the club bosses they trusted.

We revealed how Cairney lied to a local newspaper with claims he didn't know one of his victims.

And we told how pervert Torbett was booted out of the club - only to be allowed to return years later.

After the Record's sensational reports, Torbett was again kicked out by the boys' club.

And detectives have confirmed that they plan to quiz the wealthy businessman * +

taigs 2.12.16 - 11:56am
When Tommy Burns was appointed Parkhead boss in 1994, he tried to bring his mentor Frank Cairney back to Parkhead.
But the move to end his three year exile was blocked by Celtic chief Fergus McCann.
Last night at his home in Viewpark, Uddingston, Cairney said: I have nothing whatsoever to say. Speak to my lawyers.
Tommy Burns was also at Cairney's house to give him his support.
He said: He has the whole of my backing and that of Celtic Football Club to a man.
He has trained some of the great names of Celtic, including Roy Aitken, Paul McStay, George McCluskey, Alan Brazil, Pat Nevin,
Peter Grant, Andy Ritchie and myself.
Ever since I knew him he's been a great friend and a great influence on me and a lot of other players who had the pleasure of playing
on his team. (Daily Record 14/08/1996)

Last night, Mr Burns said of Mr Cairney: He has my backing and I'm sure he will have the backing of several members of the first team
who played for Frank at the under-16 level. (The Scotsman 15/08/1996)

Burns describes the 56-year-old as a fantastic help and a true friend.
When Cairney was unmasked by the Record earlier this week, Burns rushed to his side. Sitting in his pal's living room, he stormed: He
has the whole of my backing.
But the calls from boys who claimed Cairney terrorised them were still flooding in to the Daily Record. (Daily Record 16/08/1996) * +

taigs 2.12.16 - 11:58am
Away from first-team and club matters, which were bad enough, another issue was beginning to raise its ugly head at the club. Within a month of my arrival one of the young players asked to see me in my office. 'Here we go,' I thought. 'That didn't take long. Here's a youngster in to complain about not being in the team. Straight away he's going to be into me to give him his chance.' He sat down and told me that he had had problems on a trip to North America with the youth team. One of the fellas in charge had made advances towards him.

As a manager you expect to have to sort out all sorts of problems. But this wasn't one I ever saw coming. I was staggered. To be frank, I didn't know how to respond for the best. Clearly the kid was distressed about what had happened, but I felt I couldn't just approach the accused and ask him to explain himself without proof. My hands were tied, in a way. I felt completely stuck and out of my depth. I spoke to my staff. They were shocked. My gut feeling was that the kid was speaking the truth, but there was no mechanism within the club or within my experience to deal with it. It was a police matter if anything. Any investigation had to start with them.
And that's exactly what happened.

A couple of years later it all came out. Celtic Boys' Club founder Jim Torbett was convicted of sexual abuse of three players, including Alan Brazil.

Frank Cairney, the manager of the Boys' Club, was charged but not convicted. It emerged that years earlier Jock Stein knew all about Torbett and kicked him out of the club. The wish to maintain the good name of Celtic, if that were ever a good enough reason, was the only thing that kept the issue from coming to light at that point. There was a string of allegations by young lads whose dreams of playing for Celtic were exploited, but it was the testimony of Alan Brazil, David Gordon and James McGrory that brought the matter to court, and Torbett to justice. [from Football, My Life. by LOU MACARI] * +

oysten 6.12.16 - 06:19am
'a club like no other' thankfully * +

oysten 7.12.16 - 06:31am
http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/listen-former-celtic-kitman-confesses-9406834 more cover-up and shame involving the filthiest most depraved club in world football * +

gersbust 11.12.16 - 03:18pm
Still using child abuse to point score??? It's the Rangers way * +

edinbro 12.12.16 - 12:09pm
I've heard a lot of celtic fans use the point scoring comment about the historical child abuse in Scottish football, here's a question for all the celtic fans to ask themselves, why do you not want the authorities to investigate this? Is it because you're worried about what might come up or do you simply not care about the victims? If it was my team I would want it investigated and if I found my club had done something wrong I'd want them to answer for it. * +

« <> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-1271
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
6 first page
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Sports Forum
9 Forum Index