! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

German Football - Page 1/4

Subject: German Football
Replies: 26 Views: 2351
> »
silver66 25.04.13 - 10:13am
I've always considered domestic German teams and the Bundesliga in general as peripheral to true European success..Now i am starting to wonder - Bayern and Dortmund last night were sensational. * +

soufpaw 25.04.13 - 10:21am
Ive been saying for nearly 2years the Bundesliga is as good as any other league.2 great teams but Schalke good too.The Germans have built their league up steadily since hosting the World Cup in 2006.The Bundesliga is now the most watched league-spectator wise-in the world too.Top players around the world now see the Bundesliga as an attractive option. * +

silver66 25.04.13 - 10:25am
i agree to a certain extent but the one thing they don't have is brand imagination. apart from bayern munich; there is no other football brand in germany that can transcend it's own borders. * +

soufpaw 25.04.13 - 10:29am
Silver you clearly aren't aware of German clubs previous success in the CL? Dortmund won the CL in 97 and Bayern Munich are one of the most successful teams in the history of the CL. Hamburg too going back a few decades and Eintracht Frankfurt and more recently Leverkusen and Schalke have done well in the CL.Its always been a strong league but its lacked the financial power.Now due to packed stadia and the fact the Bundesliga markets itself better around the world nw,makes it a major leagu * +

soufpaw 25.04.13 - 10:34am
The same here though Silver.Only Man Utd are a truly global brand.Liverpool used to be but no longer.Other leagues too are catching up.The emergence of PSG in France makes Ligue1 a high profile league and the shedloads of cash in Russia and Ukraine mean clubs over there are getting stronger.For too long the English have arrogantly thought the PL was the be all and end all.It isn't and never was. * +

silver66 25.04.13 - 10:37am
i'm not disputing that but the biggest flaw german teams have as a marketing tool is the german character itself. they are efficient and can be brilliant but they can never capture the imagination of people like a liverpool, chelsea, the sc*m etc.. * +

soufpaw 25.04.13 - 10:44am
Chelsea and Arsenal are growing brands but i wouldnt say global brands yet although Chelsea do market themselves better than any other English club apart from Man Utd around the world.Guardiola going to Bayern is a coup and i suspect Mourinho would now see Germany as an option especially if Klopp leaves Dortmund.I watch the Bundesliga a lot and the crowd atmosphere is on another planet compared to the PL. * +

silver66 25.04.13 - 10:51am
i suspect guardiola at bayern is going to be a disaster...blood and ice don't mix and with reference to mourinho seeing germany as an option - couldn't disagree more..mourinhos international profile is more important than mourinho himself so that answers it's own question regarding the bundesliga. * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-4
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Sports Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search