! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Sooooooo. . . - Page 10/39

Subject: Sooooooo. . .
« <> »
prismf 14.09.14 - 01:39pm
Feast days[edit]

Icon of Gabriel, Byzantine, ca. 13871395 (Tretyakov Gallery)
The feast of Saint Gabriel was included for the first time in the General Roman Calendar in 1921, for celebration on March 24. In 1969 it was transferred to 29 September for celebration together with St. Michael and St. Raphael.[17] The Church of England has also adopted the 29 September date, known as Michaelmas.

The Eastern Orthodox Church and those Eastern Catholic Churches which follow the Byzantine Rite celebrate his feast day on 8 November (for those churches that follow the traditional Julian Calendar, 8 November currently falls on 21 November of the modern Gregorian Calendar, a difference of 13 days). Eastern Orthodox commemorate him, not only on his November feast, but also on two other days: 26 March is the Synaxis of the Archangel Gabriel and celebrates his role in the Annunciation. 13 July is also known as the Synaxis of the Archangel Gabriel, and celebrates all the appearances and miracles attributed to Gabriel throughout history. The feast was first established on Mount Athos when, in the 9th century, during the reign of Emperor Basil II and the Empress Constantina Porphyrogenitus and while Nicholas Chrysoverges was Patriarch of Constantinople, the Archangel appeared in a cell near Karyes, where he wrote with his finger on a stone tablet the hymn to the Theotokos, It is truly meet....[18]

The Ethiopian Church celebrates his feast on 28 December, with a sizeable number of its believers making a pilgrimage to a church dedicated to Saint Gabriel in Kulubi on that day.[19]

Additionally, Gabriel is the patron saint of messengers, those who work for broadcasting and telecommunications such as radio and television, remote sensing, postal workers, clerics, diplomats, and stamp collectors.[4]

i have an antenna. that is currently working. as a few buds, will know as i told then when it first happened and started.

strange tho.......how the church moved the * +

prismf 14.09.14 - 01:41pm
feast date to michaelmas in this year.......and when it actually was. it was foretold in legend that a shift of celebration would happen on gabriels human return to earth. in fact some of the pictures i have up on my profile depict that message * +

prismf 14.09.14 - 01:42pm
Gabriel's horn[edit]
The trope of Gabriel blowing a trumpet blast to indicate the Lord's return to Earth is especially familiar in Negro spirituals. However, though the Bible mentions a trumpet blast preceding the resurrection of the dead, it never specifies Gabriel as the trumpeter. Different passages say different things: the angels of the Son of Man (Matthew 24:31); the voice of the Son of God (John 5:25-29); God's trumpet (I Thessalonians 4:16); seven angels sounding a series of blasts (Revelation 8-11); or simply a trumpet will sound (I Corinthians 15:52).[14]

In related traditions, Gabriel is again not identified as the trumpeter. In Judaism, trumpets are prominent, but they seem to be blown by God himself, or sometimes Michael. In Zoroastrianism, there is no trumpeter at the last judgement. In Islamic tradition, it is Israfil who blows the trumpet, though he is not named in the Qur'an. The Christian Church Fathers do not mention Gabriel as the trumpeter; early English literature similarly does not.[14]

The earliest known identification of Gabriel as the trumpeter comes in the year 1455 in Byzantine art, as an illustration in an Armenian manuscript showing Gabriel sounding his trumpet as the dead climb out of their graves.[15] Two centuries later comes the first known appearance of Gabriel as the trumpeter in English culture, in John Milton's Paradise Lost (1667):[14][16]

Betwixt these rockie pillars Gabriel sat
Chief of the Angelic guards (IV.545f)...
He ended, and the Son gave signal high
To the bright minister that watch'd, he blew
His trumpet, heard in Oreb since perhaps
When God descended, and perhaps once more
To sound at general doom. (XI.72ff).

Later, Gabriel's horn is omnipresent in Negro spirituals, but it is unclear how the Byzantine conception inspired Milton and the spirituals, though they presumably have a common source.[14]

In Marc Connelly's play based on spirituals, The Green Pastures (1930), Gabriel has his beloved tru * +

prismf 14.09.14 - 01:45pm
beloved trumpet constantly with him, and the Lord has to warn him not to blow it too soon.[14] Four years later Blow, Gabriel, Blow was introduced by Ethel Merman in Cole Porter's Anything Goes (1934). * +

prismf 14.09.14 - 01:46pm
8th of july! chin.gif * +

prismf 14.09.14 - 01:49pm
n full moon 12th july chin.gif hmmmmmmm * +

propidol 14.09.14 - 11:38pm

@ prismf - 2.08.14 - 10:40pm
a sort of angel crest. bit more modern than the one that is my own family crest, but here goes.....

Do you know what that is? * +

« <> »

This topic is locked!

+ go to page 1-39
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
6 first page
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Religion&Beliefs Forum
9 Forum Index