! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Biblical Exposition - Page 1/12

Subject: Biblical Exposition
Replies: 78 Views: 2570
> »
xfrankie 13.08.17 - 03:22pm
Hermeneutics; the science of interpretation, fundamental to sound interpretation and application of the Written Word.
Here misconceptions, misused and abused verses, conventional beliefs may be shared and their veracity tested against Proper Biblical Context * +

xfrankie 13.08.17 - 03:32pm
The Bible, from the greek 'ta Biblia' meaning 'The Books' a collection of 66 different books, written by 40 Authors under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit of God, and written over a period of 1500 years,

Cultures, Tradition, Usage, Language, Meaning is different today from what it was at the time the message was written, as such ordinary discipline for extracting meaning requires an academic tools and principles that are applicable Ancient Texts. * +

xfrankie 13.08.17 - 03:37pm
money is the root of all evil.

1 Timothy 6:10 'For the LOVE of money is the root of all kinds of evil'
* +

xfrankie 13.08.17 - 03:43pm
spare the rod, spoil the child?

Proverbs 13:24 'whoever spares the rod, HATES their children, but the one who loves, is careful to discipline them'

reference however is made to Proverbs 24:15 'Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, and the rod of discipline will drive it far away' * +

xfrankie 13.08.17 - 04:13pm
Judge Not, Lest you be judged?

its is often said of and by christians and non-christians alike, do not be judgmental, because Jesus said don't Judge.

Matthew 7:2-5 'For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brothers eye and pay no attention to the log in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, Let me take the speck out of your eye, when all the time there is a log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brothers eye'

Matthew 7:15-16 He is warning about false prophets 'by their fruit you shall know who they are'

Matthew 18:15-17 'If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private'

John 7:24 'judge not according to appearance, but judge righteous judgment'

There are types of judgment encouraged in Scripture and others are not, for example hypocritical judgment in Matthew, * +

xfrankie 13.08.17 - 05:04pm
'We three kings of orient are,
Bearing gifts we trasverse afar
Field and fountain, moor and mountain
Following yonder star'

beautiful christmas carol, about the three wise men present at the birth of Christ, tradition named them Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar
unfortunately, spawned misconceptions about what transpired.
Matthew 2:1-15.
Matthew 2:1 'Now after Jesus was born Bethlehem of Judea, in the days of Herod the King, behold wise men from the East came to Jerusalem'

Matthew 2:11 'And when they had come into the House, they saw the Young Child, with Mary His Mother and fell down and worshipped Him. And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him, gold, frankincense and myrrh'

1. Scripture, gives no indication of a number of wise nor of their names. the false implication is drawn from the number of gifts, an arbitrary basis.
Quite the contrary, number could have been more based on history of the time

2. The visit never occurred on the night and time of His Birth, could have been months or years after his birth
since they visited the Child in a 'House' not 'Stable'
Also supported in Matthew 2:16, when Herod orders for the death of every male 2 year old and younger. * +

xfrankie 14.08.17 - 08:16pm
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me Phillipians 4:13

Probably one of the most famous inscriptions after John 3:16. An 'assurance' to prepare one in pursuit of one's aspiration, Joel Osteen says its to see you dreams fulfilled, and life to new heights

Unfortunately, as is commonly the case, its divorced from context, thereby losing the true meaning.

Paul's letter to the Phillipians is written while a chained prisoner in Rome, Phil 1:7, 14 facing imminent execution, this was after, being flogged with lashes by jews, beaten with rods, pelted with stones, shipwrecked thrice, gone without food, faced hunger thirst, been cold and naked.
At the time this letter is written he has seen it all, 2 Cor. 11: 23-28

Hence, in reading Phillipians 4:13, consider preceeding verses for example v.11

'Not that I speak from want, for I have LEARNED TO BE CONTENT in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me'

John MacArthur rightly states 'Christ's strength isn't some vague force in enabling Paul to whatever ends he desires'
The relevance is he strong enough to endure anything, in adversity and abundance, more so adversity considering the background of the epistle.

Our sufficiency is Christ Jesus in any outcome. * +

xfrankie 15.08.17 - 08:20pm
'God helps those who help themselves?'

strange expression, yet disturbingly common and more so, most used and applied by Christians.

This supposition that somehow a joint collaboration is necessary for God's intervention is false. And a classic example of twisting the Word to one's own destruction.

First, the expression is NO WHERE in Scripture.

Secondly, Nearly everything about the history of the man as revealed in Scripture is quite literally, God purposefully helping man, because man is incapable of helping himself. From the Fall of Man, to Coming of Christ to the Redemption.

Man's effort is at the very very best, none existent, in terms of helping, but certainly overly abundant in terms of self destruction.
1. In the beginning, God saw all His creation and it very was good, Gen. 1:31 when Man is entrusted, all creation now groans and labors with pains of childbirth, Romans 8:22

2. At the Fall, man sins and uses fig leaves to cover his shame Gen 3:7, but God makes tunics of skin and clothed them Gen 3:21

3. For atonement, Luke 5:31 the healthy have no need for a doctor, its the sick, I have not come for the righteous, but to call sinners to repentance.
For, Romans 8:20 by the deeds of the law shall no man be justified, BUT by Faith in Christ are we justified, SINCE 1 Peter 2:24 He bore our sins in his body on a tree so that we might die to sins, and live to righteousness. 1 Cor. 5:21 God made Him who knew no sin, to be sin for us, so that we might become the righteousness of God.

4. For sanctification, Gal. 3:3 Are you so foolish, having begun in the Spirit, are you now being perfected in the flesh,
Phil. 1:6 being confident of this, that HE WHO BEGUN, a good work in you, WILL PERFECT IT. * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-12
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Religion&Beliefs Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search