! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Evolution of religion - Page 1/4

Subject: Evolution of religion
Replies: 24 Views: 905
> »
flintstone 22.05.17 - 12:34pm
Any ideas how it evolved? From worshipping sun wind to current beliefs ? There is very little documentation * +

obi_jon 22.05.17 - 04:01pm
Religion and evolution, 2 words that aren't usually used in the same sentence. You can't really say the 'e' word around religious people at all, they don't like it when confronted with something that can clearly be proved with evidence, they get all mad and start talking nonsense about magic apples and talking snakes and stuff.eyeroll.gif * +

shadow27 22.05.17 - 04:35pm
Somewhere in the transition from beast to human is where it evolved. Some shamanic traditions reveal how I believe it really snowballed, the consumption of certain substances having psychoactive properties perhaps (some of which we may have adapted to since then). The birth of our consciousness, our ability to have a sense of wonder about the universe.. all are linked together. * +

shadow27 22.05.17 - 05:17pm
The accumulated flotsam of traditions, rituals and stories passed down around campfires over countless millennia. That's another way to think of the origins of religion. The human experience, as seen through the distorted lens of nascent self awareness. * +

tsi 25.05.17 - 09:18am
ACTS 17:22-24 Then Paul stood up before the Areopagus and said, Men of Athens, I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and examined your objects of worship, I even found an altar with the inscription: To an unknown God. Therefore what you worship as something unknown, I now proclaim to you. The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples made by human hands...

Documentation is there, except that people nowadays are not well read and only want to know what they know. There have been a number of contributors in the evolution of religion, among them influential thinkers, philosophers, religious leaders, teachers, disciples, and missionaries.

Whereas most people are religious in one way or the other, people have often expressed their beliefs in the existence of supernatural beings and the afterlife in the context of their respective cultures. In fact the belief in the afterlife predominates in almost all religions, but the nature of the supernatural being and perhaps ways of worship keep on evolving in some religions. From the belief in many gods to a belief in one God. From the worship of the creations to the worship of the creator. * +

obi_jon 25.05.17 - 10:08am
Belief in an afterlife stems from an innate fear of death and the unknown, manifesting itself in the hope that there is something else after this life. It's easier for some people to believe that there is, rather than confront the possibility that there isn't. * +

tsi 26.05.17 - 05:40am

@ obi_jon - 25.05.17 - 10:08am
Belief in an afterlife stems from an innate fear of death and the unknown, manifesting itself in the hope that there is something else after this life. It's easier for some people to believe that there is, rather than confront the possibility that there isn't.

Just as it is easier for you to believe that there isn't, rather than confront the possibility that there is. You may also want to believe that the Earth was formed 4.5 billion years ago and choose to ignore an important event which only happened 2 thousand years ago.

Jesus Christ lived, died and was raised from the dead 2 thousand years ago. A clear testimony that there's life after death. It only takes faith.

Hebrews11:1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

John3:16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Romans8:2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus made me free from the law of sin and of death. * +

shadow27 26.05.17 - 09:14am
Religion isn't JUST about the afterlife though, is it? It's about how you live your life while you are here, how you fit into the greater scheme of things, how all things began etc. * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-4
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Religion&Beliefs Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search