! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Queen Rania at Abu Dhabi Media Summit - Page 1/3

Subject: Queen Rania at Abu Dhabi Media Summit
Replies: 17 Views: 1444
> »
0gypsy0 20.11.14 - 02:26pm
Extremists are hijacking identity of Arab world, says Queen Rania at Abu Dhabi Media SummitQueen Rania urged the region to ''reclaim their narrative'' from militants such as ISISQueen Rania of Jordan has called on the Arab world to speak up and fight for the image of Islam and the region before it is destroyed by violent extremists.In a hard-hitting speech at the fifth edition of the Abu Dhabi Media Summit, the royal spoke passionately about what she termed ''an attack on our values as a people'' and urged the region to ''reclaim their narrative'' from militants such as ISIS.Focusing on the groups use of social media to post violent prop02a02ganda, including beheadings and r*pe, she accused ISIS, also referred to as the Islamic State of Iraq and Levant (ISIL), of changing the Arab worlds profile picture and referred to a montage of violent images from various conflicts on a big screen behind her.''Thats what ISIS is doing to the Arab world C and all of us. A minority of irreligious extremists is using social media to rewrite our narrative hijack our identity and rebrand us,'' she said.Queen Rania added:64 ''This is their version of the Arab world. Their plot. Their narrative. Their heroes. And the rest of the world is listening and watching. These images dont represent me any more than they represent you. Theyre alien and abhorrent and should make every Arab seethe.''She added everyone in this part of the world has a part to pay in changing perceptions.''A story is told as much by silence as by speech, '' she said.''Well, our silence speaks volumes. We are complicit in their success. If ever there was a time to tap into that indignation it is now. * +

0gypsy0 20.11.14 - 02:26pm
''For the sake of each one of us for Islam and the Arab world for the future of our young people, we must create a new narrative and broadcast it to the world. Because if we dont decide what our identity is and what our legacy will be, the extremists will do it for us.

''If we dont author our story, theirs will endure.

Post your profile picture of our Arab world.

Queen Rania also used her speech to stress the importance of education in fighting extremism.

She said the only way to save the regions youth from the sirens call of extremism is to provide them with a better alternative.

''We either develop our region, or we let others dismantle it,''she said.

''Harness the tools to drive the Arab world forward in the 21st century, or let others use those tools to drag us back to the dark ages.''

''And education is the key,''she claimed, saying:8200;''Our strategy must be long-term. And that starts by investing in quality education for all

And let me emphasise one point. When I said, quality education for all, I meant girls as well as boys. Because educated girls strengthen their nations economies they prioritise the health and education of their own children and they help to build stable societies more resilient to radicalisation. Why else would Boko Haram, the Taliban and ISIS be so afraid of girls with books?

''Education reform doesnt come cheap. But the price of ignorance is far, far greater.'' * +

miaiad 20.11.14 - 11:33pm
I lived 2 yrs in Jordan, I know she is a great supporter for education, health care activities (at least within Jordan). * +

bambi60 21.11.14 - 12:58am
Well done her ....a voice of reason it would seem ....I wonder what her views on the genocide in Palestine are dunno.gif * +

bambi60 21.11.14 - 01:00am
....will she be ignored or vilified though ,she is very western looking in style .... * +

miaiad 21.11.14 - 02:30am

@ bambi60 - 21.11.14 - 12:58am
Well done her ....a voice of reason it would seem ....I wonder what her views on the genocide in Palestine are dunno.gif

She is a Palestinian by origin nod.gif * +

joe.sa 21.11.14 - 06:26am
I'm with Queen Rania. * +

mandain 21.11.14 - 12:20pm
Boko haram will be on to her * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-3
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply