! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

The meaning of life - Page 1/23

Subject: The meaning of life
Replies: 156 Views: 15661
> »
joe999 10.11.13 - 12:58pm
This is not to put anyone or anyone's beliefs down but just genuinely interested. I have my beliefs and don't want to put them on anyone else. This us a question more for atheists out ppl who don't have a specific belief in what happens. Basically what us the meaning of life? What's the point of it all? There are so many stress if everyday life and pain and every other emotion. There is so much effort and work out into so much. Even if u build a wonderful family and have a really happy life, * +

joe999 10.11.13 - 01:00pm
what's the point of it all? the billions who have ever lived and are currently living and your children and grandchildren will all due. If there's no heaven out Hell so afterwards it's just nothingness. what do u believe in and more importantly y? what was the point? * +

vampboy 10.11.13 - 07:00pm
What we Atheists have in common is lack of belief in a supernatural deity, and get one thing, our meaning of life isn't defined by God, an afterlife, or the spaghetti monster. The meaning of our lives is relative, as in Atheists just like any human being have different meanings and beliefs, and we live each day based on that. And after we die, we die. That's the cycle of life, that's what I believe. * +

joe999 10.11.13 - 07:32pm
so no meaning really if when u die u die then it's just ur on this world to do ur time and once it's done it's all over. dunno seems v bleak to me. I mean I don't believe in an after life because I want to and it's more convenient. it's one of the main beliefs we have. every action has a consequence if not in this world then the next. I really just don't get how it makes sense to you that it's all just an experience. * +

vampboy 10.11.13 - 08:06pm
Religion was developed for the very same reason you claim you don't believe in, it's more convenient and it gives people a false sense of hope and serenity. It doesn't matter what you say. It sounds bleak, and religious people are probably more happier, but then again ignorance is bliss. Why lie to yourself and give yourself a false sense of hope? And just to add one more point, I believe every action we do does have a consequence, be it trivial or not in this world. * +

joe999 10.11.13 - 08:11pm
how do u know religion was developed for that reason? u weren't around thousands of years ago how would u know. maybe it would make sense to u but that doesn't make it true. who said I'm lying to myself? u think all religious ppl lie to themselves? personally I believe many more atheists lie to themselves * +

vampboy 10.11.13 - 08:24pm
common sense. Religions have been formed in each and every culture of the world, and every religion had one thing in common. They gave a sort of meaning to this life, and a sense of hope and serenity. Give me a religion that didn't? To say yours is right automatically means all other religions are giving false sense of hope to their followers. I will let you think about that further. To answer your second question, it was a general statement, I was not specifically talking about you, I'd rather not lie to myself, just to escape the bleakness of this world. Now my question to you is how are Atheists lying to themselves? * +

joe999 10.11.13 - 09:51pm
I'll answer ur second q first. atheists lie to themselves by saying there is nothing else after therefore not having to worry about punishment and just do what they do in this life with absolutely no worries about repercussions. Hell if I didn't believe right now I'd do a Hell of a lot more things I am restricted from doing by purely being religious. sooooo much easier. as to ur 1st q * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-23
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Religion&Beliefs Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search