! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Environmentally friendly convenience stores - Page 3/10

Subject: Environmentally friendly convenience stores
« <> »
recurve16 22.06.19 - 05:24pm
You spend all that time standing there sorting your different, glass, plastics, card, paper, then go out and put it in the 1 of 6 hideous lookin wheelie bins they insist you keep outside your house.
They pick it up whenever they feel like it, sometimes missing you completely for weeks at a time, and can fine you if you've put the wrong stuff in the wrong bin.

Then most of it ends up in landfill either here, or shipped abroad, because our recycling companies can't keep up with the amount of rubbish we produce.

There have been several investigations and documentaries on tv about it, it's all just 1 big con, only a small fraction of the stuff ever gets recycled... * +

recurve16 22.06.19 - 05:34pm

@ sourface - 22.06.19 - 05:20pm
Im all for this save the planet crap and what not but the paper bags in shops are sh*t first one i had split and didnt have much stuff in and the paper straws are fu*king awful they practically dissolve in drinks my kids fell apart while out few tweaks deffo needed.

I experienced my first paper straw with a milkshake a few days ago, like you say, totally useless, fell to bits.

Straight onto Amazon, pack of 100 plastic straws, delivered to my door, all the way from China for 1.24... * +

obi_jon 22.06.19 - 05:50pm
[link]http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/17/recycled-plastic-america-global-crisis[/link]

The article focuses on America, as they are one of the largest waste producers but it clearly points out that this is a global problem. Our government's need to do more than just exporting all our sh*t to wherever is prepared to take it off our hands and then not asking them how they were planning to deal with it. * +

mok214 22.06.19 - 07:23pm

@ slwnoris - 22.06.19 - 05:57pm
Let's get back to the old days, milk in a glass bottles, fish and chips wrapped in newspaper, meat wrapped in greaseproof paper then newspaper, no need for toilet paper, use the previous days newspaper cut into squares and hung on the holder a nail. Let's have the old cardboard egg boxes those plastic boxes are horrible.

Before toilet paper people used rags. * +

sisfreak2017 22.06.19 - 07:26pm
Yes, but you'll pay more Mario coins. * +

sisfreak2017 22.06.19 - 07:29pm

@ mok214 - 22.06.19 - 07:23pm
Before toilet paper people used rags.

Your a country guy Mok , so no doubt you've many timed also experienced natures toilet paper lol.gif something is better than nothing good.gif * +

recurve16 22.06.19 - 07:31pm
UK plastics recycling industry under investigation for fraud and corruption

Exclusive: Watchdog examining claims plastic waste is not being recycled but left to leak into rivers and oceans

The Environment Agency (EA) has set up a team of investigators, including three retired police officers, in an attempt to deal with complaints that organised criminals and firms are abusing the system.

Six UK exporters of plastic waste have had their licences suspended or cancelled in the last three months, according to EA data. One firm has had 57 containers of plastic waste stopped at UK ports in the last three years due to concerns over contamination of waste.

Allegations that the agency is understood to be investigating include:

Exporters are falsely claiming for tens of thousands of tonnes of plastic waste which might not exist

UK plastic waste is not being recycled and is being left to leak into rivers and oceans

Illegal shipments of plastic waste are being routed to the Far East via the Netherlands

UK firms with serial offences of shipping contaminated waste are being allowed to continue exporting.

UK households and businesses used 11m tonnes of packaging last year, according to government figures. Two-thirds of our plastic packaging waste is exported by an export industry which was worth more than 50m last year.

The exporters make millions by charging retailers and manufacturers a fluctuating tonnage rate for plastic waste recovery notes currently 60 a tonne. Retailers buy these plastic export recovery notes Perns to satisfy the government they are contributing something to recycling plastic packaging waste.

But the system which was heavily criticised as open to fraud and abuse by the National Audit Office this summer relies on companies making self declarations about how much packaging they are exporting. * +

« <> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-10
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
6 first page
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 General Chat Forum
9 Forum Index