! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

The prefix in - Page 2/2

Subject: The prefix in
« <
ogdenz 20.02.18 - 02:43pm

@ gt_tdi - 20.02.18 - 01:55pm
'In-' isn't always a negative prefix. Sometimes it serves as an intensifier, such as in the example in the first post, along with other words like incandescent / candescent.
'Extra-' doesn't mean 'more', it means 'beyond / outside', so the literal definition of extraordinary is 'beyond ordinary.'

Why thank you Susie. * +

tazdevil 20.02.18 - 03:30pm
This one is harder to explain. It's probably just an exception to the rule. The problem with English is, even though there are set rules (often contradictory) there's almost as many exceptions to the rules as there are words that follow them. Tbf, most of the sh*t is memorized more by experience than set in stone. It's kind of dumb how it works lol * +

3mel 20.02.18 - 03:33pm
at least you haven't got to learn two words for the gender of things like some languages. my interest in new languages died because of it. * +

seifer 20.02.18 - 03:39pm
iSi senyor!
Hombre-Senyor
Mujer-Senyora * +

tazdevil 20.02.18 - 04:00pm

@ 3mel - 20.02.18 - 03:33pm
at least you haven't got to learn two words for the gender of things like some languages. my interest in new languages died because of it.

That's why I totally resented learning French at school. One time my teacher wrote that I have gender issues on my French work because of my le, la, de, da, les and des lol. The more French I did, the more I hated it and eventually lost all interest. * +

seifer 20.02.18 - 04:12pm
Never did French. They don't have that in post-Apartheid South Africa. Looks hard though, but I did try- once, twice or thrice so. Just have an obsessive interest in Spanish (and Spanish culture). You can say that I'm an Hispanophile like how you're an Anglophile lol *

« <

Quick reply:

+ refresh
+ go to page 1-2
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
6 first page
+ bookmark
8 General Chat Forum
9 Forum Index