! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

What would you do? - Page 1/10

Subject: What would you do?
Replies: 67 Views: 2518
> »
mikeymk 8.12.19 - 08:02pm
Today's scenario:

I'm in a convenience store buying munchies for work. A guy walks up to the meat fridge and starts putting meat products into a carrier bag.

I thought to myself, ''what's this, supermarket sweep..?'' I take a couple of items from the fridge opposite, to stay stealthy, and proceeded to make an instant and automatic plan to stop his getaway.

I browsed along the fridge, towards the entrance, and he made his way towards me. I stepped back, so he had to walk in front of me, then proceeded to block his path, forcing him to a stop against the fridge door.

''Where are you going with that, mate?'' I asked, quietly. ''I can't let you do that.''

At this point I wasn't sure how he'd react, but I got more than I expected. I was expecting action, and fast. What I got was a squirmy, resentful, protesting moan from him, asking why can't I let him do it? What am I talking about, etc...

Blahblah.gif

The manager crept up rapidly behind him and plucked the bag from his hand - he just let her. He didn't give a sh*t.. just continued his tirade at me, getting angrier.

Preparing for a bang in the face, I positioned myself so he had the freedom to go for the door. I kept the items in my hand, but held them a bit higher, fully prepared to match any fists.

By this time a couple of other customers gave their presence, he was loosely surrounded, and he fled - not without kicking some shelving in a rolling-tantrum on the way out.

Obviously a smackhead having a hard day at the office, but I had to wonder on the rest of my journey to work... Did I do the right thing? Should I have just let him take it?
I suppose I ask because he was so fkn shocked i stopped him..

So yeah, what would you have done? * +

recurve16 8.12.19 - 08:07pm
Was he wearing a winter coat that still had a security tag on it by any chance ? * +

dodgey 8.12.19 - 08:12pm
I would have ignored it and gone about my business, not my shop and not my problem. * +

mikeymk 8.12.19 - 08:13pm
laugh.gif

Actually he had a near identical black Parker coat to me, also a black baseball cap like me, similar height, build and stubble, we looked so similar it's probably gonna be quite confusing for whoever watches the CCTV... * +

funphy 8.12.19 - 08:18pm
Are you sure it wasnt your reflection on the glass door? Cos Ive done that. * +

mikeymk 8.12.19 - 08:24pm
It could almost have been! If it wasn't for his following tantrum.. * +

mikeymk 8.12.19 - 08:25pm

@ dodgey - 8.12.19 - 08:12pm
I would have ignored it and gone about my business, not my shop and not my problem.

You know, I do respect that. I reckon I'd have thought the same thing in a variety of similar situations. Certainly if it had been a bank! * +

dodgey 8.12.19 - 08:33pm

@ slwnoris - 8.12.19 - 08:31pm
Did you know store security guards have no rights to stop and search your bags or arrest you, they only have the same rights as anyone that being citizens arrest. If they choose to use that then they need to have seen you stealing, they still need evidence of the theft.
So if you are stopped and they want to search your bag and you have not taken anything just keep walking out, if they grab you, do not let them search your bag or you person.
Dial 999 and ask the police to attend. Once they arrive let two police officers search your bags and person. When it proven you have not stolen from the shop, the police officers are duty bound to then charge the store owner and security guard of unlawful detainment and also common assault.
And before you say this is incorrect, it's not, no one has the right to do any of the above, unless they can provide evidence to support citizens arrest, the only people who can do this is a police officer.

Or you could just open your bag and show the security guard you haven't stolen anything instead of wasting police time and trying to be a smartass. * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-10
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 General Chat Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search