! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

UK Politics cont... - Page 169/1528

Subject: UK Politics cont...
« <> »
arsed 3.06.20 - 11:32pm
Why are you still blabbing on about this? * +

vampboy 3.06.20 - 11:41pm

@ 3mel - 3.06.20 - 11:30pm
making Beijing listen sounds like an uphill impossible struggle, they imprison their own for having dissenting opinions !

All the lives lost would be for nothing if we simply gave up the struggle. Covid has already done a good job tarnishing China's reputation. People are understanding and realizing now that winnie the pooh and his cronies are up to no good. Financially, the city is also taking a big hit. Socially, there is unrest. It's a perfect time to harvest change. * +

3mel 4.06.20 - 01:44am
wrong thread * +

obi_jon 11.06.20 - 04:50am
[link]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53002961[/link]

British business is not ready to withstand the additional disruption of leaving the EU without a trade deal, according to the outgoing boss of the UK's most influential business group.

Dame Carolyn Fairbairn told the BBC that any buffers to cope with the additional cost and planning of an exit from the EU without a deal had been exhausted by the Covid-19 pandemic.

''The resilience of British business is absolutely on the floor.''

''Every penny of cash that had been stored up, all the stockpiles prepared have been run down.''

''The firms that I speak to have not a spare moment to plan for a no trade deal Brexit at the end of the year - that is the common sense voice that needs to find its way into these negotiations.''

Those negotiations are not going well. They broke up last week with the EU's chief negotiator saying that very little progress had been made on key sticking points, including future fishing rights in UK waters, and commitments to maintain a ''level playing field'' over regulation and competition.

The devastating impact of Covid-19 and the fight for business survival has diverted management attention away from any Brexit contingency planning, according to Dame Fairbairn, who worries that a political commitment to abandon the current transitional trading arrangements - come what may - will add to the burden on business at a critical moment.

''As one member put it to me - just because the house is on fire, it doesn't make it ok to set fire to the garden shed.''

''If we have a political timescale that takes us to a brinksmanship deal in December that will be catastrophic for British business - they will not be ready.'' * +

badapple 11.06.20 - 08:57am

@ obi_jon - 11.06.20 - 04:50am
[link]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53002961[/link]

British business is not ready to withstand the additional disruption of leaving the EU without a trade deal, according to the outgoing boss of the UK's most influential business group.

Dame Carolyn Fairbairn told the BBC that any buffers to cope with the additional cost and planning of an exit from the EU without a deal had been exhausted by the Covid-19 pandemic.

''The resilience of British business is absolutely on the floor.''

''Every penny of cash that had been stored up, all the stockpiles prepared have been run down.''

''The firms that I speak to have not a spare moment to plan for a no trade deal Brexit at the end of the year - that is the common sense voice that needs to find its way into these negotiations.''

Those negotiations are not going well. They broke up last week with the EU's chief negotiator saying that very little progress had been made on key sticking points, including future fishing rights in UK waters, and commitments to maintain a ''level playing field'' over regulation and competition.

The devastating impact of Covid-19 and the fight for business survival has diverted management attention away from any Brexit contingency planning, according to Dame Fairbairn, who worries that a political commitment to abandon the current transitional trading arrangements - come what may - will add to the burden on business at a critical moment.

''As one member put it to me - just because the house is on fire, it doesn't make it ok to set fire to the garden shed.''

''If we have a political timescale that takes us to a brinksmanship deal in December that will be catastrophic for British business - they will not be ready.''

all that says to me is the UK are playing hard ball on our fishing rights, and we have decided to ditch the level playing field. Its all the EU crying over it, so fk em ! When every industry through out the world is on its knees with the botty hanging off thier pants then, it dont really matter, if we get a deal or not. * +

mikeymk 11.06.20 - 09:23am
Everyone around the world has suffered financial hardship, not least EU countries. * +

obi_jon 11.06.20 - 09:56am

@ badapple - 11.06.20 - 08:57am
all that says to me is the UK are playing hard ball on our fishing rights, and we have decided to ditch the level playing field. Its all the EU crying over it, so fk em ! When every industry through out the world is on its knees with the botty hanging off thier pants then, it dont really matter, if we get a deal or not.

* +

« <> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-1528
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
6 first page
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 General Chat Forum