! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

The Great Influenza - Page 1/2

Subject: The Great Influenza
Replies: 11 Views: 249
> »
shadow27 20.10.18 - 10:41am
It's been 100 years since the 'Spanish Flu' decimated the globe (I'm reading a book about it that I had put down for a few months). I just read this part that makes Cujo sound like Lassie in comparison. I figured it's almost Halloween, what could be more appropriate than a 100 year old real horror story.. * +

shadow27 20.10.18 - 10:45am
Okak, Labrador:

Two hundred and sixty-six people had lived in Okak, and many dogs, dogs nearly wild. When the virus came it struck so hard so fast people could not care for themselves or feed the dogs. The dogs grew hungry, crazed with hunger, devoured each other, and then wildly smashed through windows and doors, and fed.. * +

bozzalad 20.10.18 - 10:47am
killed many a soldier returning from the war * +

shadow27 20.10.18 - 10:47am
The Reverend Andrew Asboe survived with his rifle beside him; he personally killed over one hundred dogs.

When the Reverend Walter Perret arrived, only fifty-nine people out of 266 still lived omg.gif * +

shadow27 20.10.18 - 10:53am
He and the survivors did the only work there was.
''The ground was frozen hard as iron, and the work of digging was as hard as ever work was. It took about two weeks to do it, and when it was finished it was 32 feet long, 10 feet wide and eight feet deep.'' Now began the task of dragging the corpses to the pit. They laid 114 bodies in the pit, each wrapped in calico, sprinkled disinfectants over them, and covered the trench, placing rocks on top to prevent the dogs from tearing it up.
In all of Labrador, at least one-third the total population died (from flu). * +

shadow27 20.10.18 - 10:58am

@ bozzalad - 20.10.18 - 10:47am
killed many a soldier returning from the war

The premise of the book is that the soldiers were the ones spreading it. It's thought that the breeding ground for the whole thing was actually an army camp in Kansas! The term 'Spanish Flu' is misleading.. Spain was the only country reporting the outbreak openly, many other nations being involved in the war were suppressing news of the flu, or otherwise trying to stifle panic. * +

bozzalad 20.10.18 - 11:01am
it hit parts of lancashire hard * +

peta 20.10.18 - 03:47pm
Ohhh.. * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-2
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page