! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Data free - Page 1/3

Subject: Data free
Replies: 16 Views: 287
> »
pmbguy 16.08.18 - 07:46am
just listened to an interview on radio about a new datafree messenger app that's recently been launched in South Africa. heard them drop a website, n thought I would take a look.

considering all the conspiracy theories about WhatsApp and Facebook being used to monitor users and thus target people with advertising, which I have actually experienced so I know there's some supercomputer processing WhatsApp messages and sending keywords to wherever the adverts come from (to put it in layman's terms), imagine my surprise when I saw there's a data free news and sport's app too...

so they use the free chat app to monitor what people are talking about, use the data free news app to brainwash the masses who obviously can't fact check since that needs data, and free sport's and Cosmo magazine app to draw users to find the other data free apps, similarly to how grocery stores use cigarettes and sweets to lure you in to see more things you might like...

too crazy? just thought I'd share my thoughts and prayers I'm wrong, although I expect to be proven right over time... * +

pmbguy 16.08.18 - 07:59am
oh and I didn't post the website URL cause I'm not sure if it's safe, and don't want to promote something I'm doubtful about as such... Google it at your own risk, and don't say I didn't warn you if you download apps and get stuck with adverts taking over your phone... not to say I'm expecting such, but just saying proceed with caution, there has to be a catch... * +

3mel 16.08.18 - 08:13am
define your use of data free in this context please * +

ladibud 16.08.18 - 10:15am
they really need to step up to the plate and do something about data prices with all the networks. * +

psnality 16.08.18 - 10:19am
How do you send something without it taking up any data?
It's only really data free if the contract company that you pay for your data lists these sites or apps as free. * +

mikeymk 16.08.18 - 10:22am
There must be data, else the advertising wouldn't get the info. Presumably they pay it, for the favour, so 'no data' simply means 'no data fee'..? * +

3mel 16.08.18 - 10:55am
even then only your provider has the ability to give you free data traffic, so unless these apps/sites are in partnership with some or all S.A. networks I don't see how the data can be free.

the networks over there worked with blackberry to offer BIS for example, and once they decided to end it blackberry had to accept it. * +

pmbguy 16.08.18 - 12:52pm

@ mikeymk - 16.08.18 - 10:22am
There must be data, else the advertising wouldn't get the info. Presumably they pay it, for the favour, so 'no data' simply means 'no data fee'..?

Yeah, no data charge on all SA networks... * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-3
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 General Chat Forum
9 Forum Index