! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

The prefix in - Page 1/2

Subject: The prefix in
Replies: 13 Views: 276
> »
fir3hill 20.02.18 - 11:30am
Generally means non, or not, eg insane, incorrect, insubstantial, incomplete, invalid, inappropriate,inaccurate, etc, surely something described as highly inflammable should be extremely hard to set fire to. Are we not placing people in danger with this linguistic anomaly? * +

mikeymk 20.02.18 - 12:22pm
You know, I've always struggled with that one. And yes, it does seem a bit sadistic. It's almost like they want us to blow ourselves up. You expect this kinda thing in the middle east, but not here. * +

3mel 20.02.18 - 12:53pm
flammable is used to describe the exact same properties too. make up your minds people. * +

ogdenz 20.02.18 - 01:20pm
The word that gets me is ''Extraordinary''..so it's not just ordinary it's ''Extraordinary''..its more ordinary than ordinary..so it's even less special or noteworthy than regular ordinary stuff? * +

musho77 20.02.18 - 01:22pm
im still trying to decide if a baked bean is cooked in a frying pan is it still a baked bean. * +

musho77 20.02.18 - 01:24pm
woops wrong post * +

gt_tdi 20.02.18 - 01:55pm
'In-' isn't always a negative prefix. Sometimes it serves as an intensifier, such as in the example in the first post, along with other words like incandescent / candescent.
'Extra-' doesn't mean 'more', it means 'beyond / outside', so the literal definition of extraordinary is 'beyond ordinary.' * +

iminuru 20.02.18 - 02:06pm

@ gt_tdi - 20.02.18 - 01:55pm
'In-' isn't always a negative prefix. Sometimes it serves as an intensifier, such as in the example in the first post, along with other words like incandescent / candescent.
'Extra-' doesn't mean 'more', it means 'beyond / outside', so the literal definition of extraordinary is 'beyond ordinary.'

This... * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-2
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 General Chat Forum
9 Forum Index