! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Space Watch - Page 585/632

Subject: Space Watch
« <> »
phallica 22.09.17 - 06:22pm

@ obi_jon - 22.09.17 - 02:17pm
[link]http://youtu.be/RU0_-VEQNE0[/link] good.gif

Cheers, good.gif much appreciated. * +

obi_jon 23.09.17 - 03:32pm

@ sisfreak2017 - 22.09.17 - 06:16pm
there's probably loads like this that'll prob only officially exist once they actually hit us pray.gif not us but some Vast ''UnderPopulated'' country on earth.

If one that size hit us, it wouldn't really matter where the impact was, vast 'underpopulated' country, or not. The amount of debris flung into the atmosphere would plunge the earth into a devastating worldwide disaster, blocking out sunlight and causing drastic global cooling, like a 'nuclear winter', possibly lasting decades. Crops would fail, food supplies would run out, many, many millions or probably even billions would die, bringing us to the edge of extinction as a species. Presumably some people would be able to take shelter in underground nuclear bunkers but even they wouldn't be safe from a direct hit in their immediate vicinity. Anyone that survived the initial impact by virtue of being far enough away from it, would face years of worldwide freezing temperatures and subsequent starvation. Civilized society would simply collapse.
If it where to happen, I think i'd rather be at ground zero. At least that way death would be quick, rather than having to face the unimaginable suffering and almost certain death from the nightmarishly brutal conditions that would inevitably occur afterwards.mortified.gif * +

gt_tdi 23.09.17 - 04:05pm
You've made it sound so lovely, Jon. * +

obi_jon 23.09.17 - 05:44pm
No point in sugar coating it is there. If it ever happens, we're fucked. Luckily, it's unlikely to happen in any of our lifetimes, at least from any of the known potentially hazardous objects, unless of course they're keeping any of them secret or a big one manages to sneak up on us undetected. Non of us will still be around in 2135 to see if Bennu is nudged into a collision course by earth's gravity or not. Some of us might still be here in 2029 though, when earth will have an extremely close encounter with another potential 'planet killer' called Apothis. It's due to pass somewhere in the region of 10,000km from earth, give or take a couple of thousand km. Which is a mere gnat's cock hair in astronomical distance terms. * +

sisfreak2017 23.09.17 - 07:31pm
i think its more when than if it will happen cold.gif myself i like the cold * +

obi_jon 24.09.17 - 02:25pm
You're quite right, it is indeed a case of when it happens, not if it happens. Major impacts have happened before and will happen again, eventually. In fact, if the dates we have for known impact events in earth's history are correct, we are actually overdue for one.

This image depicts most of the 1800 or so potentially hazardous near earth objects with earth crossing orbits that we know and keep track of(more are being found all the time) in the solar system. The fact that non of them have hit us yet and as far as can be calculated, non of them are predicted to do so any time soon, is pretty remarkable. * +

obi_jon 24.09.17 - 02:26pm
You're quite right, it is indeed a case of when it happens, not if it happens. Major impacts have happened before and will happen again, eventually. In fact, if the dates we have for known impact events in earth's history are correct, we are actually overdue for one.

This image depicts most of the 1800 or so potentially hazardous near earth objects with earth crossing orbits that we know and keep track of(more are being found all the time) in the solar system. The fact that non of them have hit us yet and as far as can be calculated, non of them are predicted to do so any time soon, is pretty remarkable. * +

« <> »

This topic is locked!

+ go to page 1-632
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
6 first page
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 General Chat Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search