! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

HiFi speakers - Page 4/6

Subject: HiFi speakers
« <> »
norega 28.05.17 - 11:25pm

@ usbcable - 28.05.17 - 08:09pm
I recently repaired a Cyrus Two amplifier.. In it's day it probably cost over 700 but the build quality really isn't great. The compactness of the components causes it to hum when the volume is turned up with no signal. The headphone socket is wired with a resistor in the ground instead of one in each left/right channel which affects channel separation when headphone listening. Thin plastic pegs hold the power switch push rod and I had to glue and reinforce these as they were broken....

What version did you get as their was 3 revisions of the Cyrus two . the last one with the clicky on off switch being the best. Most Cyrus 2 amps are very old and will need re caping . schematic s are avalible online and a full set of caps will cost about 20 pounds . its well worth doing.sounds like your one does as it should not hum at all. * +

norega 28.05.17 - 11:28pm
Thee first version of the Cyrus 2 was plastic . the later models are cast magnesium alloy and are extremely heavy . they still outperform most modern amplifiers costing up to 1500 pounds . * +

usbcable 29.05.17 - 06:52am
The case is all metal so I'm guessing a version 2. Did they change the position of the power switch in the later models then. That's a really bad design in the one I have. * +

norega 29.05.17 - 08:59am
No the position is the same . I can't believe you think its poor build quality they are built like tanks . does your switch push in and out ?. * +

usbcable 29.05.17 - 09:28am
Yes the switch is just a lever that pushes in and out but there's a plastic rod that has cams on each end and rotates as you press the power switch. This operates the actual power switch which is in the lower center behind the front panel. The plastic rod is only held in by small red plastic clips which broke on the one I had. * +

usbcable 29.05.17 - 09:36am
More modern amps have more room inside and shield the pre amp by putting the power amps heatsink down the middle or something similar to stop interference. The transformer is very close to all the circuitry in the Cyrus 2 and there isn't any shielding to speak of. * +

norega 29.05.17 - 11:54am
All my cyrus amps over the years have been exellent with no feedback at all . im guessing you have one that needs re caping like i said . The design has changed very little in 30 years as it is a classic design ,it doesnt need to be large the transformer used has its own internal shielding and these amps are world renowned for there exellence . modern amps under 1500 pounds are built like crap with very little inside and poor quality internal parts . * +

« <> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-6
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
6 first page
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Music Forum
9 Forum Index