! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

*SOUND ADVICE* - Page 24/26

Subject: *SOUND ADVICE*
« <> »
garion 4.03.10 - 05:40pm
Interesting But Obvious 4384.. my old (CRT) 28in telly blew up t'other day, and I've now got an LCD one that's literally one fifteenth of the size, and the increase in sound quality from my system (no involvement from the tv) is IMMENSE and really noticeable. There is a certain logic to this - my speakers were about a foot either side of the tv and it projected slightly ahead of them * +

garion 4.03.10 - 05:40pm
(it was a monster) and hence would interfere with and marginally distort the cone of sound exiting the speaker, but of far more relevance is the fact that a solid block of about 7 cubic feet has been removed from my living room, giving the music more room to 'breathe'. I'm not sure what use this info may be, but if you notice something similar when junking your old telly, you're not imagining it. * +

dubit 4.03.10 - 11:58pm
Dont buy a new cd player,if yours has a digital output buy an external DAC ,and hear the improvement! ,the DAC boards can be purchased fairly cheaply in DIY form....wink * +

garion 26.05.10 - 09:51pm
*COVERS* This was alluded to en passant by apandy earlier on, but to get greater clarity and detail from your speakers remove the covers (baffles, grilles, whatever they happen to be called), they might look plug-ugly with 'em off (or you might be lucky and they look gorgeous) but you'll have removed a barrier between you and the recorded sound. If you think it's unlikely to make much difference, * +

garion 26.05.10 - 09:52pm
try pulling your t-shirt or whatever else you're wearing over your head so your ears are covered for half a track, then pull it back down.. Oh and don't send me your t-shirt repair bills - it's all in the name of scientific research grin. I've known people spend hundreds on an equalizer to achieve the same effect as removing their speaker covers.. * +

garion 17.10.15 - 06:21pm
icon_bump.gif for phallica. * +

usbcable 18.10.15 - 11:08am

@ dubit - 4.03.10 - 11:58pm
Dont buy a new cd player,if yours has a digital output buy an external DAC ,and hear the improvement! ,the DAC boards can be purchased fairly cheaply in DIY form....wink

Buy a raspberry pi 2'computer, add the IQaudIO Pi DAC + board onto the pi. Then buy a HDMI cable to connect your TV, a powered USB hub and a USB hard disk drive, the Samsung SE-506CB Bluray/DVD/CD reader/writer. Update the firmware on the Samsung SE-506CB to the latest firmware version TS02. Add a wifi dongle and infra red remote controller. Lastly buy a micro SD card and go to the OSMC website. Choose the install to USB device option and download the image file to the SD card using a PC or Mac. Install this into the raspberry pi 2 and wait until the system is installed. Buy the codec licences to enable hardware decoding of Bluray and DVD disks. Configure the new installation to use the new pi DAC + board. * +

« <> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-26
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
6 first page
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Music Forum
9 Forum Index