! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

All kinds of permissions needed... - Page 2/3

Subject: All kinds of permissions needed...
« <> »
ungers 13.03.17 - 05:43am

@ 3mel - 13.03.17 - 05:22am
depends on the app, some want data for adverts which they don't need, some need mic and camera because you can record videos.

name a couple of apps and you can get a few opinions on whether they're taking the piss.

Yes, i can take pics,record video and audio, but do i want to share it?..... NO!!!! * +

3mel 13.03.17 - 02:51pm
what I'm saying is that the permission descriptions are what makes things sound dodgy.
a media player will ask for permissions related to phone calls because it needs to detect when you receive a call so it can pause and mute playback. it doesn't mean it's listening in on your calls although it's not impossible. the APIs that govern certain functions have been given titles that can make innocent things sound invasive.

list a couple of apps and people can see if they agree with you or not that the apps are asking for more than they need.
I have loads of apps that I deny permissions to and deny internet access that doesn't affect them from working just fine. * +

ungers 14.03.17 - 04:04am
My stock camera needs all the mentioned permissions, else it won't start. None of my lower-end devices needed that cr*p. I just find it a bit over the top....... * +

ungers 14.03.17 - 04:10am
I don't use a lot of apps on my device, i prefer my laptop. I now use my trusty old blackberry for taking pics @work, as i do contracting work for various insurance companies as well as assessments.....same stupid permissions needed for my stock browser....Android 6.0..... * +

3mel 14.03.17 - 05:21am
same permissions needed on my camera and 3rd party browser, I don't give the browser location or microphone access and I get noissues. the camera needs the mic for video obviously so there no way around that.

you aren't actually giving more permissions than before, under marshmallow they're more broken down to give you more control but your old camera had all the same access. * +

metulj 14.03.17 - 09:30am
shutdown phone, start in safe mode(yes many android's) have it :P
set all permissions, restart phone and voila, done once for all :D
btw, yes, I'm still alive :D :D :D * +

3mel 14.03.17 - 11:42am
searching.gif faint.gif * +

« <> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-3
+ my page
+ functions
3 search