! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Xiaomi working on a Memory extension feature - Page 1/1

Subject: Xiaomi working on a Memory extension feature
Replies: 6 Views: 2173

polo_011 30.04.21 - 04:17pm
This is an interesting one that Xiaomi are working on, I am guessing with memory chips getting faster this may become more a thing, article:
[link] https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_working_on_a_memory_extension_feature_for_miui-news-48912.php[/link]

* +

3mel 30.04.21 - 08:56pm
sounds a bit like swap * +

3mel 30.04.21 - 09:08pm
you'd usually have to format all your internal storage which would probably catch some off guard * +

polo_011 30.04.21 - 10:23pm
Yeah, and apparently Vivo already do this, had no idea. I remember some Custom ROMs allowed this some years ago but I have never tried it. * +

3mel 1.05.21 - 01:27am
it's very bad for your nand life span I think was the consensus after a while. * +

polo_011 1.05.21 - 12:23pm

@ 3mel - 1.05.21 - 01:27am
it's very bad for your nand life span I think was the consensus after a while.

Ahhhh, that explains why it never came to mainstream for a long time. Will be interesting to see how this goes for Vivo and Xiaomi, I cannot really think of a situation where someone will need to turn this on when all these phones come with over 4GB RAM at this point, a lot of them coming with between 8 and 12GB RAM is already quite crazy. I remember 6GB RAM being perfectly fine on my Note8 and now with 8GB RAM on my last few Androids including the Mate 40 Pro I am not seeing any real difference, all multitasking great. What difference will an extra 1GB do I wonder? * +

3mel 1.05.21 - 01:11pm
I use my current phone pretty much the same way as my previous ones. when I check running services I see that I always have 3gb free ram. I can use an app and it'll still be in memory days later which is freaking awesome. with 2gb of ram opera would reload every time you opened it.
I don't use social media apps that want to run constantly pre-loading photos I might click on and status updates. maybe people want to run windows 95 on a virtual machine, I can't think why you'd need more. *

Quick reply:

+ refresh
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
+ bookmark
8 Android Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search