! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Galaxy Note 5 in the UK - Page 1/2

Subject: Galaxy Note 5 in the UK
Replies: 13 Views: 2290
> »
banbury 7.05.19 - 07:59pm
I bought a used Note 5 which is in as new condition. its a N920T which I believe is from T-mobile USA. its currently running Android 6.01. I know the latest these go to officially is to ver 7. but when you touch software update it flashes but does nothing and doesnt even check for a newer version. when I connected the phone to my Win 10 PC Samsung smartswitch identifies the device correctly but states there is no available update. Ive tried factory resets but to no avail. * +

banbury 7.05.19 - 08:04pm
one other thing although this is only a minor annoyance for me: at work I only get one bar of 4G signal on any phone I use on Three, therefore I usuallly set phones to '3G only' when iam at work for better signal. but if I set the Note 5 to 3G only it still switches to 4G on Three, even though the device does have the correct 3G band for Three's 3G service in the UK. 'GSM only' does work, although I do realise Three have no 2G network, which explains why there is zero signal on that setting. I suspect this may have some connection with the origin of the phone though? * +

banbury 7.05.19 - 08:08pm
oddity: when I inserted the sim Three said it didnt recognise the device and could not send OTA settings which is not surprising, but the data just worked anyway! * +

banbury 7.05.19 - 08:53pm
(oh by the way I do realise this phone was never released in the UK) * +

3mel 8.05.19 - 12:15am
T-Mobile model phones with a unique model number are a pain in the arse. T-Mobile is in total control over updates no matter what Samsung does.
they have a reputation for not maintaining their phones beyond a couple of updates including minor ones.
the phone will also have a custom locked boot loader which will make it next to impossible for you to change the software yourself to something custom.

get thee to XDA and read up on your models forum. 4G bands used here and in America can differ. however Samsung phones can select which bands to use via a hidden engineer test menu.

personally I'd sell it off if it was me, as there's no official support and a struggle to use unofficial support because of the boot loader. there are ways around that on some phones (LOKI) but I don't know if that applies here, and even that has limits and issues. * +

banbury 8.05.19 - 01:01am
Thanks for the info I suspected it might be connected to the provider. At some point in the future I may approach a third party to format the phone and start from scratch. but I do plan to keep it cos the condition is so perfect as part of my collection. * +

banbury 8.05.19 - 01:26am
interestingly the seller seems to have quite a few of them so there is certainly some wheeling and dealing going on there. of course for all I know they could have all fallen off the back of a lorry in the U.S lol but you just buy in good faith! Iam sure I could check that out online which I will do when I get chance. but of course blacklisted phones if they are, always work in other countries. I did loads of checks with the seller to insure it was genuine,and it passed every single I test I did. he seemed happy for me to them too which is always a good sign. * +

banbury 8.05.19 - 01:34am
(he seemed happy for me to do the checks sorry and they were not unsually cheap either so no red flags in that respect. I did the checks because there are a lot of Chinese clones around obviously. * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-2
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Android Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search