! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Best galaxy s5 firmware? - Page 1/1

Subject: Best galaxy s5 firmware?
Replies: 7 Views: 737

ungers 29.12.16 - 10:10pm
Samsung Galaxy S5 Snapdragon SM-G900F currently on Marshmallow 6.0.1 Can anyone point me in the right direction?......I do not want to root the phone unless i find a rom better than the vodacom branded one already on the phone.....no, i do not have issues with it, but i want to install something better? * +

3mel 29.12.16 - 10:39pm
anything AOSP or slimsabre ESPECIALLY if it supports a ktoonsz kernel, but you'll lose quite a few Samsung features that way and need to learn how to set it up.

this is my personal preference though. it's fair to say that stock based roms are better optimised. a stock based, debloated, deodexed rom with a decent tweakable kernel might suit you better.
the xda moto is try it and find out, never ask this question there or you'll receive much scorn. * +

3mel 29.12.16 - 10:48pm
just read you fully, and you'll only ever find stock roms flashable thru Odin (as tar files). if you want a proper custom rom you'll need root and a custom recovery first so you can flash zip files. * +

ungers 30.12.16 - 07:13am
Ok, i got lost with tweakable kernels and what that means. Thanx for the input 3mel, looks like i got some reading to do before i touch the phone....... * +

ungers 30.12.16 - 07:18am
One last question.....if i go to a lower android version, are there any benefits in doing so?..... * +

3mel 30.12.16 - 11:10am

@ ungers - 30.12.16 - 07:18am
One last question.....if i go to a lower android version, are there any benefits in doing so?.....

there won't be anything lower than the firmware the phone 1st shipped with generally. if there was it would be less efficient less secure etc so no advantage.

with androids it's not like other phones you've dealt with in the past. there is more to learn than you want to imagine.

there's csc and efs files and partitions you DON'T want to screw up on a Samsung.
there's 2 basebands or modems, one covering GSM to 3g, the other LTE and Wi-Fi.
there's a recovery app, a rom and a kernel.
everytime you flash your phone with stock firmware via Odin unless stated you're usually flashing all of these at once. if you're flashing via a custom recovery you'll be able to flash some but maybe not all those parts. those parts need to match and be compatible.
the kernel is the brain essentially, a tweakable kernel let's you do more stuff like undervolt or overclock or get extra features to your preference.
your Samsung phone starts out with a security feature called Knox. you may like this feature (look it up) if you do certain things to your phone this feature will never work again and your phone will display what you've done to it FOREVER !

the best advice I can give you is to tell you that you know nothing, don't think what you know from other devices will mean anything. XDA FORUMS is android mecca or the holy land, anything awesome or possible will exist there as will tonnes of help and ideas you've never thought of. you have a great phone for xda because it was very popular but there's a lot to know about it so that you don't turn it into a paperweight.

[u][link]http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s5[/link][/u] * +

ungers 30.12.16 - 03:18pm
Straight to the point.....i will not touch this phone, i just wont. Once again 3mel, your advice is sound, so thanx a bunch. Pity ur too far from me, people will pay handsomely for your knowledge on android. Thanx again... * +

3mel 30.12.16 - 06:16pm
seriously, I know nothing. the folks on xda make roms apps and mods for android. you give those guys log files from your phone and they come back 20 minutes later having figured out why some software isn't working and they've written code to fix it. they know these phones inside out and can think in Linux and Java.
go read the help forums for your phone and weep over what you'll never know... *

Quick reply:

+ refresh
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
+ bookmark
8 Android Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search