! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Note 3 WTF - Page 1/2

Subject: Note 3 WTF
Replies: 12 Views: 1629
> »
gameboy1 2.04.16 - 05:29am
Hey you lot, so long story short, my note fell into a small puddle of water, for about 2 seconds.

It worked fine after, I pulled the battery out and dabbed it dry and hoped for the best. The next morning it was pretty much ok but once the battery died, it wouldn't charge.

I thought the USB was busted or whatever but today, about 2 weeks later, the phone charged again. The screen is perfect and it boots up, but its nothing but a black screen after the Samsung logo.

I tried to retrieve some of the data from the HDD (assorted family pictures/video) but the phone restarts when I tried to do that. Everything else works (music, can use volume buttons, swipe/press hold etc) except I can't see anything on screen.

Booted into safe mode, and everything was great there as well. I wanted to do a factory reset/clear cache but wanted to get anything off the internal drive off just in case.

So yeah, now its back to a blue LED and black screen (I haven't done anything), so I'm letting it discharge all the way again (I've taken the battery out etc, so I'm going to leave it to die again).

TL:DR - Slightly water damaged phone came back to life but I can't see anything on screen past boot, even though the screen is 100 fine. * +

3mel 2.04.16 - 06:07am
water damage can trigger a short circuit which in turn can corrupt data in either your system or data partitions (in theory)...

if you had USBdebugging activated you could try to recover files via ADB or get a service centre to do it for you.
I think you need to flash it again to see if it is just software damage and not actually EMMC damage... * +

sarry86 2.04.16 - 09:00am
That won't help, see a tech and let him disassemble and remove all water traces on your MB * +

3mel 2.04.16 - 12:04pm
water traces wouldn't be allowing the phone to boot up but only as far as the Samsung screen, whereas damage the water has caused could. * +

polo_011 2.04.16 - 09:41pm
When did you get your Note 3? The reason I ask, you may still be able to do a ADH Claim, that covers Water Damage * +

gameboy1 3.04.16 - 06:45pm
Haha, nah Polo, I got it in mid-2013... now way its still under ADH.

@Sarry - You really think it is worth doing that? This happened about 2 weeks ago.

I can plug my cell into my pc via USB, no problem but it says USB MTP driver failed to install, and the phone then proceeds to switch off... and by that, I mean the blue LED stops flashing.

I'm just puzzled. How did it go from working fine, to not working at all, to somewhat working to glorified brick... without me doing anything but switching it on?

Further still, how does everything work, sound/screen/buttons/usb etc at one point and then be dead the next?

I'm not really 100 interested in saving the phone itself, other the few pictures/vids I have on there, just want to know what's up it.

I'd get a new cell but I haven't seen anything that has blown me away since the S2... I only got this Note because my S2 bug*ered up randomly as well (hell, that was the last post I made here :-/).
* +

gameboy1 3.04.16 - 11:40pm
aaand update, so the phone is powering on and I'm able to go to recovery mode. The screen doesn't look damaged in the slightest (no flickering/blinking whatever), so I don't know. I reset the phone and cache but still can't see anything on the screen after the samsung logo.

Do you guys think the GPU is busted? * +

3mel 4.04.16 - 12:50am
flash it with new firmware...

it sounds like it doesn't have a rom on it anymore because of the water damage. if a component was faulty you wouldn't be getting as far as the same screen even.

if you want to check it for files you need to have had USBdebugging activated in developer options. you could flash a custom recovery and try to make a backup of your media partition (internal user memory). obviously that wants to be made onto external memory so you can take the card out afterward... * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-2
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Android Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search