! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Mobile data usage - Page 1/3

Subject: Mobile data usage
Replies: 16 Views: 1440
> »
banbury 15.11.14 - 03:15am
I realise this post is not connected to any particular platform but I decided to post it here because I think the android forum is probably the most used. It concerns data usage and why you can use more data over 4g doing exactly the same thing as on 3g. Services such as youtube and BBC iplayer automatically detect when your using a faster connection and will then automatically increase the quality/resolution of the said video which will then obviously consume higher levels data in the process. I believe this is something that not everyone is aware of and maybe of concern to EE users in the U * +

banbury 15.11.14 - 03:28am
I believe this is something that not everyone is aware of and maybe of concern to EE users in the UK who do not have unlimited data. http://mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/features/broadband/3521229/how-much-data-do-i-need-which-3g-or-4g-tariff-you-should-choose/ * +

banbury 15.11.14 - 03:39am
(I thought this was a reliable source too) * +

banbury 15.11.14 - 03:57am
naturally one way to avoid this if you reside in an area of strong 3g reception is to deactivate 4g and just use it for downloading large files where you will see the most benefit. This can be done on most handsets by selecting 3g or umts only, or 2g/3g only. * +

4767170 15.11.14 - 06:18am
A very great advice * +

garion 15.11.14 - 09:06pm
Yeah, and if you're thinking of doing speed tests on 4G and you have a data cap, think hard - using the SpeedTest.net app mine uses 65meg on the upload test and 28meg on the down; do that a few times and you'll be through your data allowance faster than prunes through a short grandmother. * +

banbury 15.11.14 - 09:50pm
I think its all a bit of a con to be honest. I've just switched to EE from T-mobile and I've noticed 3g has slowed to a crawl since I've switched, when it was previously ok. I believe its slowed down on purpose cos EE only want you to use 4g. But I have to use 3g or 3.5g cos 4g reception is too patchy where I live. but I also have a three contract so its not a major issue for me. ironically I've just switched over to 2.5g in order to reply on this post and its actually faster than 3g lol iam not joking either. * +

banbury 15.11.14 - 10:18pm
probably cos nobody is using gprs/2.5g! * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-3
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Android Forum