! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

NEW Raspberry Pi 3 - Page 4/9

Subject: NEW Raspberry Pi 3
« <> »
usbcable 30.03.16 - 01:05am
So i thought I will make the boot start back on the SD card as you do when you first setup the OS on a RPi. So I edit the cmdline.txt file on the SD card and it boots up normally off the card. I run startx for the desktop display and run the file manager with administrator (sudo) privileges so I can see the system files and edit fstab on the hard disk on the ext4 partition..

Too my horror faint.gif the ext4 partition was missing and just a warning triangle was showing in the file manager.so I've spent the rest of the evening trying to find how to use disk recovery software in the vain attempt of getting my files back. * +

usbcable 30.03.16 - 12:13pm
So after installing some disk recovery software on my PC and then let it do it's thing and waiting... And waiting...., aaand waiting yawn until this morning, not much had happened apart from it had found a partition but no files. So I checked my backups to see how current they were and it's not as bad as I thought. So I decided it would be quicker to just start again and re-install everything. * +

usbcable 30.03.16 - 12:17pm
So if your messing with your Raspberry Pi take a tip from me ... Be d*mn sure what your doing and backup your data before you go and do it! * +

usbcable 30.03.16 - 12:50pm
* +

iminuru 30.03.16 - 03:16pm
Well said. I will remember Your advise. As a fact this SD card wear problem/issue is a great hindrance, for people like me with very small/little budget for experiments etc. any way thank You. @Usbcable. * +

usbcable 30.03.16 - 03:40pm
Your welcome... I should add when you run the OS off a hard disk the writes to the SD card are minimal compared to running it entirely of an SD card. The logs, temp files don't write too often. The swap file can be turned off on an older RPi A or B, by running dphys swap file script, or moved to the hard disk by editing the dphys swapfile configuration file and restarting the dphys swap file script. * +

usbcable 30.03.16 - 10:31pm
Something else I learnt today while installing more apps on my RPi ... I installed a load of stuff that I use all the time and added a few extra I havnt used before. I noticed on reboot an error message. It said failure to load modules so I checked the boot log file and checked the modules loaded and I couldn't work out what it was... So I went online copied and pasted the error message into google and had alot of discussions about this error. I discovered it was to do with ''cups'' (common unix print service) the advice give was to uninstall cups then autoremove the remaining files then go into the /etc/modules.d/ folder and move all the cups.conf files to the /pi/home/folder then reboot and it should fix it.... Well as it happens it did.... * +

« <> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-9
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
6 first page
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index