! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Laptop Boot-up time - Page 1/3

Subject: Laptop Boot-up time
Replies: 17 Views: 1951
> »
ste76 29.08.12 - 12:08am
I've got old Toshiba a300 laptop running vista (H-P) and it's boot-up time from turn it on till your password screen is well slow bout 2-3 mins. Is there any free software out there that can speed this up thanks * +

plzgvhug 29.08.12 - 01:06am
On an old laptop it's hard to make it go faster and its not usually worth splashing cash on it. there are a few simple things you can do like defrag, registry cleaning and removing old program's and drivers. Also remove shortcuts from the start up folder and prevent unneeded services and drivers from starting at boot up. * +

plzgvhug 29.08.12 - 01:10am
Sorry I saw your running vista, well it's not so old it could benefit from an SSD drive which would knock a lot of the boot time but SSD arnt cheap so it's wether you wish to update an old laptop I guess. Still you could always take it out and put it in a new machine later. * +

fluidz 29.08.12 - 04:06am
Not old, core2duo cpu? Still decent enough for most tasks. I recommend looking into Windows 8, which is to arrive at retail outlets shortly, apparently Windows 8 is better with older machines, whilst keeping the integrity of Windows 7 more or less intact, other than slight improvements. Look into it and see what others are saying via youtube. Other than that, download 'ccleaner' , check your startup list and remove anything you dont want to open whilst the pc is booting, * +

fluidz 29.08.12 - 04:08am
.. but don't touch anything with 'microsoft' written next to it. These are vital to start when windows loads. So if you see (for example) yahoo messenger, do you really need that to open when you login? No? Remove it? The more you remove, the faster the startup will be. Anti viruses can slow down a pc, so be sure to use an high end av suite such as nod32, kaspersky or bit defender. Download Malwarebytes to check for , well malware, and defrag the pc. Vista just doesn't do a good job at keeping things running smoothly, in fast it doesn't help the end user at all. That's where Windows * +

fluidz 29.08.12 - 04:14am
7 and 8 come into play, they are more friendly. Be sure to look into getting a ssd (newer variation of harddrives which are super fast, but not cheap).. If all that doesn't work there's always trusty sledgehammer.. always works. * +

edit.or 29.08.12 - 06:14am
http://www.lapspecs.com/wiki/toshiba+satellite+pro+a300 - specs of this laptop. you don't need to upgrade anything, 2 to 3! minutes for this laptop is abnormal. as said above, defragment, check your start up and to add, do you experience this waiting on windows boot screen or during bios/ post stages? * +

1jester 29.08.12 - 06:13pm
like others have mentioned it will be start up apps that are causing the slow load up, do the whole defrag, ccleaner scan, delete unneeded startup of apps, clean reg, apart from the defrag all these can be done by ccleaner ( a really useful free app that every pc user should have) * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-3
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search