! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

slow new acer laptop - Page 1/3

Subject: slow new acer laptop
Replies: 18 Views: 2195
> »
modikwe5 4.08.12 - 10:48pm
Please somebody help me.Last week monday i got a new acer notebook.AS5349.running windows 7(32 bit).2gb ram.1.6Ghz.it was all good until friday night when i switched it on.It took ages,and stil does,to start up,it is very unresponsive when i open windows explorer and it cant even do normal stuff lyk open and play an audio file.I had downloaded a few stuff before this problem started( winrar,an emulator,pics,documents and songs from my fone).It came with an antivirus(mcafee),but i don't trust it * +

banbury 5.08.12 - 02:23am
have you done all the windows updates? you can check win updates manually via start. new laptops come with a lot of bloatware which is software the manufacturer installs on to the machine in the factory. some of it is ok but most is just duplicates of what windows allready provides and it does nothing other than slow your computer down. a lot of bloatware is set to start up automatically upon boot up which makes it even worse. * +

banbury 5.08.12 - 02:28am
try clicking start and typing msconfig into the search bar. click on msconfig at the top of the window and system configuration will appear after a short wait.. if you then click on startup it will show a list of any programs set to auto boot up with windows. unticking a program in the list will prevent it from starting up automatically. after which click apply and ok. you should then restart windows * +

banbury 5.08.12 - 02:35am
but you must be very carefull what you untick. some of the program names are not obvious. if your not sure what it is, leave it alone untill you are able to identify its function. other items in the list are much more obvious and if you dont require them to start automatically its usually safe to untick them. its merely a case of identifying everything. * +

banbury 5.08.12 - 02:38am
are you using the preinstalled anti virus that came with your laptop? if so its probably only a trial version so get shot of it and download either avg free edition for 32 bit or maybe avast which both offer good protection. both are also kind on system resources. macafee didnt get a good review anyway so its not worth buying. * +

banbury 5.08.12 - 02:42am
if after banishing bloatware and installing an alternative anti virus and organizing your startup programs you are still getting the same problem contact your dealer because its under their guarantee. * +

banbury 5.08.12 - 03:13am
yeah there is all sorts of things you can do. mind you I've never thought windows 7 is very fast on boot up anyway. * +

sianxw 5.08.12 - 03:42am
windows anti virus is also gud * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-3
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum