! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

Building A PC... - Page 1/5

Subject: Building A PC...
Replies: 35 Views: 3831
> »
play.con 7.03.12 - 08:53pm
I'm almost tempted to build a PC - it's been ten years since I've done this. Only really thought about it because of how many 'good deals' come along for components. I'm in no rush to complete it, but need advice. Ideally I'd have a working PC before upgrading when I spot a bargain. I guess my main question is about motherboard and PSU... What motherboard should I be looking at getting if I want to upgrade to a 'next-gen' GPU? I understand their release isn't far away... * +

play.con 7.03.12 - 08:53pm
.. any recommendations for PSU regarding power and brand would be appreciated. Bear in mind I want to build this as cheaply as possible, but with the option to upgrade components at a later date. The whole point of this for me is to have fun putting together something decent at a low cost rather than just going out and buying a beast which I could do tomorrow if I felt I needed it. I don't need the best PC, I just want to be able to say 'ha, my PC cost peanuts and it makes yours look s**te.' * +

play.con 7.03.12 - 08:54pm
Don't waste too much time helping me btw, I'll probably change my mind by tomorrow lol cheers * +

spartan2 7.03.12 - 09:20pm
Ivy bridge banana that is out one month from now, Intel's latest and greatest. The new boards will arrive with that too. By then brand new graphics cards will be around for Nvidia. So i could spec you a machine to buy now, but in one month from now, pretty much everything inside it will be different lol * +

play.con 7.03.12 - 09:28pm
s**ts on my idea, but cheers lol * +

spartan2 7.03.12 - 10:13pm
If you do decide to buy do it next month and get all the latest goodies then you'll be set for probably at least 18 months then * +

jay.mack 7.03.12 - 11:09pm
good powersuplies,,, seasonic, corsair are 2 of the best. they do some very reasonable 1s such as 650w which will run any single card setup for between 60-90 pounds. (trust me you dont want to pust a 15 pound psu in a pc that just cost you 700. yes ivy bridge will be here soon but by the looks of it it will be hard to get your hands on 1 for the first 2-3 months. even worse news for kepler/nvidia the yeilds are seriously poor and may well be power guzzlers. we will know for sure next week @ * +

jay.mack 7.03.12 - 11:14pm
the paper launch (prelaunch press conferance that will showcase there range). intel as i say have said the ivy bridge will launch but will be hard to get hold of, as are there current sandy i7 3930 cpus. intle claim its s shortfall cause by the tsunami but rumors abound about them keeping them back untell they get rid of the larger stock of there higher end products as they seemingly perform very much the same when overclocked... why pay more when you can get the same performance for 300 * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-5
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search