! You are not logged in to Prodigits. Please register or login.

1T extrnal drive problem - Page 1/3

Subject: 1T extrnal drive problem
Replies: 17 Views: 1251
> »
lowerrr 27.07.11 - 10:52pm
I have an external 1T Toshiba harddrive that I occasionally use to transfer data to. It was working fine then suddenly stop working. Its about 6 months old and I hardly use the stupid thing. I store most of my files on DVDs, but there are some files on there I need. It powers on and the lights go on but Bios don't pick it up and neither does my computer. I even used another usb type b cable on it * +

lowerrr 27.07.11 - 10:54pm
and it still don't show up. Is there any way to recover the data on it. * +

plzgvhug 28.07.11 - 12:16am
take the drive out the casing carefully, see what type of interface connections are on the drive. If its got IDE and a 4 pin power connector put in as a slave in your computer. If its got a SATA interface buy a USB to SATA cable. Copy your data across if you can. * +

plzgvhug 28.07.11 - 12:19am
sorry i should of said you need a computer with an IDE connection if the drive is IDE. * +

mopac 28.07.11 - 11:00am
That is the problem with externel HDD. Precisely, do exactly what Plzgvhug has said.. All the best man.. * +

lowerrr 28.07.11 - 11:06am
It is still under guarantee so I did not want to open it _ lol but I did coz I don't care if I void it my files is more important and I don't want people accessing my personal info... Its an IDE interface but it has been directly intergrated into the pcb. * +

lowerrr 28.07.11 - 11:18am
I do have an old pc with IDE but I won't be messing with that for fear of bricking permanently. * +

lowerrr 28.07.11 - 11:19am
They should have designed it as you suggested plzgvhug... Like a processor that can be removed. d*mn I always hated these drives and now I know why. The Bi_tch did not even give me any warning signs that it was dying like a normal hardive would do. * +

> »

Quick reply:

+ go to page 1-3
+ my page
+ functions
3 search
4 submit a reply
7 last page
+ bookmark
8 Tech&Computers Forum
9 Forum Index

Custom Search